Goretzka (Signed for Bayern Munich)

Apparently United want him. It’s on Sky so it must be true..
Not a big news, as I can't imagine a club that wouldn't want Goretzka for free. It's up to him to decide if he prefers to go abroad or join Bayern. Hope our little German colony will help to lure him.

@Maldeika , what are your thoughts on his transfer situation?

Not a big news, as I can't imagine a club that wouldn't want Goretzka for free. It's up to him to decide if he prefers to go abroad or join Bayern. Hope our little German colony will help to lure him.

@Maldeika , what are your thoughts on his transfer situation?

None. I do not want him as he in my eyes is not what we need. We right now have the playmaker 6 in Rudy and Kimmich, 2 box-to-box players with Vidal and Tolisso (Sanches would be another one), a playmaking no. 8 with Thiago and 2 players that usually occupy the most offensive midfield spot in James and Müller (with different playing style).

Heynckes right now plays a 4-1-4-1 with Martinez in the no. 6 spot and prefers to play 2 of Vidal, Thiago, Müller and James playing the 8s. So we often do not even need one of the box-to-box-players. For me Tolisso is pretty similar to him - and even played a similar role as Goretzka did for Lyon - and I do not see much quality differences when they have adapted.

But I do not know what Bayern does. His agent was in Munich some months ago - but that was still with the plans Ancelotti had who had other ideas to play.

I think if I could choose a midfielder for Bayern it would be somebody with very good passing abilities - we do not really have a replacement for Thiago. James does a pretty good job replacing him but he defensively is not as strong.

In his stand out game, against Mexico, he was in a midfield 2, very much a player with defensive responsibilities.

He's played as Schalke's deepest midfielder a lot.

To say he's not a defensive midfielder is wrong. He's not a defensive midfielder in the same way Yaya isn't, nor Fernandinho, nor Gundogan.

He's not Nigel de Jong, but we don't want Nigel de Jong so that doesn't really matter. He's definitely got all the attributes to be our man at the base of midfield.
It's not wrong, because he isn't a defensive midfielder. A defensive midfielder is a midfielder who concentrates on the defensive aspects of the game. We couldn't solely rely on Goretzka to be our most defensive minded midfielder. Goretzka has played deep for Schalke but only to play more in the build up. In all other aspects of his career he has been an advanced midfielder. For Schalke u17 and then for the u19 teams he scored almost a goal a game. Even for Germany he has 6 goals in 12 games. The only reason I commented on this thread was in response to people saying he is the perfect replacement for Fernandinho, when in reality he's totally different and would compliment a player like Fernandinho....not replace him.

What if we bought him in Jan and loaned him back to Schalke till July? That way they get around 5-10M and we get a quality player in the summer.

Does anyone else think this area of the pitch is a priority and should be addressed in January. We have a wealth of attacking talent and have been unfortunate with injuries to JS and BM, but if we lose Fernandinho it really could be a game changer. The protection he gives the back four is so important and despite our depth of talent we have no one else who can perform this role. My big worry is that injuries to our defenders combined with the possiblr loss of Fernandinho through injury or bans could prove costly.

A defensive midfielder is a midfielder who concentrates on the defensive aspects of the game.

Then we don't have a defensive midfielder now.

Your definition of defensive midfielder is outdated, and has no relevance to this team. Fernandinho does more in the opposition box than most opposition attacking midfielders, his biggest contribution to games is building from the back and keeping track of counterattacks.

Goretzka would definitely be not competition for KDB or Silva in this side.

By the way, the fact that we're linked to him despite having half a dozen players in the 8 position already should tell you that. We're being linked to players who can play as the pivot, not yet more attacking midfielders.

Last edited:
It's not wrong, because he isn't a defensive midfielder. A defensive midfielder is a midfielder who concentrates on the defensive aspects of the game. We couldn't solely rely on Goretzka to be our most defensive minded midfielder. Goretzka has played deep for Schalke but only to play more in the build up. In all other aspects of his career he has been an advanced midfielder. For Schalke u17 and then for the u19 teams he scored almost a goal a game. Even for Germany he has 6 goals in 12 games. The only reason I commented on this thread was in response to people saying he is the perfect replacement for Fernandinho, when in reality he's totally different and would compliment a player like Fernandinho....not replace him.
Then Guardiola never plays defensive midfielders. Pep's former pivots - Yaya, Busi, Alonso - don't fit your definition of DM. And mind you, Fernandinho is not a genuine DM, more like B2B mid.

And IMO you're wrong if you think that Dinho has to be replaced with a player with similar skillset. Why, just because it works right now? He's actually far from ideal - not good enough in the build-up, lacks press-resistance to feature in quick circulation of the ball. Next pivot has to be more technical I think.

Then Guardiola never plays defensive midfielders. Pep's former pivots - Yaya, Busi, Alonso - don't fit your definition of DM. And mind you, Fernandinho is not a genuine DM, more like B2B mid.

An accurate definition of DM/B2B/CM is missing, it's not easy to compare players and opinions.

I would say Dinho WAS a B2B mid. Now being 32 he is the link between defence and our front 5. His number of passes are PL top. Holding the centre channel he wants to find David and KDB, who do the creative job.

Goretzka still IS the dynamic B2B mid. Great first touch, always on the front foot, can read a game. Passing accuracy not the greatest, yet.
He reminds me much more of KDB than Dinho. Have a look:

And IMO you're wrong if you think that Dinho has to be replaced with a player with similar skillset. Why, just because it works right now? He's actually far from ideal - not good enough in the build-up, lacks press-resistance to feature in quick circulation of the ball. Next pivot has to be more technical I think.

I agree here. But maybe we have to make a difference between a setup vs bus parking teams compared to more dangerous top teams where we may need a more defensive minded setup, a DM. Like Emre Can?

We have been hoping Ilkay would be a fit. I always thought he is in the wrong league, physically.
It's not easy to say but I wouldn't hesitate to replace Ilkay by Goretzka, honestly.

Pep will have some good information as Sané and Goretzka were playing for Schalke and Germany though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.