Grammar alert: of/off, to/too

My grammar's better than most of the users on this forum (I use semi-colons [occasionally correctly] and I don't skip words such as the word 'that'), and even I think this intellectual snobbery is a bit lame.

It drives me insane when I see someone's entire point dismissed because of a couple grammatical errors, as if it somehow makes their entire point invalid.

The sharing of ideas shouldn't be ruined by people nitpicking about its execution. I mean isn't pointing out bad grammar as a reason why someone's wrong just another form of ad hominem?

And if your problem is to do with the systematic inaccuracies we see on a daily basis, then, I don't know, do something about it? Lead by example with your own amazing grammar. Maybe politely educate someone in a non-demeaning manner when they make a mistake? Write a letter to the government telling them that the education system is not good enough. Or better yet, just rise above it!

We all make far more mistakes than we'd like to admit. And just remember that before any of us are too quick to point out the errors in the ways of our peers and look down on them that there's always someone cleverer who could do the same to us.

Last edited:
And just remember that before any of us are too quick to point out the errors in the ways of our peers and look down on them that there's always someone cleverer who could do the same to us.
Speak for yourself, mate.

That's literally what I did, I fully accept that I'm open to criticism for trying to be smart.
Just joshing, mate. It's code for nobody is cleverer than me !
You are right, of course.(gritted teeth).

My grammar's better than most of the users on this forum (I use semi-colons [occasionally correctly] and I don't skip words such as the word 'that'), and even I think this intellectual snobbery is a bit lame.

It drives me insane when I see someone's entire point dismissed because of a couple grammatical errors, as if it somehow makes their entire point invalid.

The sharing of ideas shouldn't be ruined by people nitpicking about its execution. I mean isn't pointing out bad grammar as a reason why someone's wrong just another form of ad hominem?

And if your problem is to do with the systematic inaccuracies we see on a daily basis, then, I don't know, do something about it? Lead by example with your own amazing grammar. Maybe politely educate someone in a non-demeaning manner when they make a mistake? Write a letter to the government telling them that the education system is not good enough. Or better yet, just rise above it!

We all make far more mistakes than we'd like to admit. And just remember that before any of us are too quick to point out the errors in the ways of our peers and look down on them that there's always someone cleverer who could do the same to us.
And then theirs pointless erratic line spacing

And then theirs pointless erratic line spacing
Exactly, there's always going to be someone who will find a way to criticise something about you (although you're pointing out my questionable key as opposed to grammar in this case), so maybe we shouldn't act like we have the ground on everything.

p.s. It's there's not theirs and you forgot your full-stop ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.