Alexis Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better than Sanchez?
In a scenario where we need cover for David Silva, I think both of those players are more suited and have more of the attributes to cover what he does. We'd get the most out of Sanchez by playing him further up the pitch. We have two players there in our squad (Bernardo and Gundogan) who we aren't getting the most out of at the moment. Hopefully it's just a case of Gundogan needing more time to bounce back from his injuries and for Bernardo to adapt, but if we end up in a situation further down the line where Sanchez was seen as a better option to cover/replace Silva than either of those two, then i think that would represent a bit of a failure to have gotten the best out of those players.

OK, allow me to clarify. If Sanchez were available to us last night, in my mind he'd have been on the bench.

Given that Sanchez would give us more options, he woupd have replaced the ageing Yaya in central midfield, but not played in his poisition.

Sanchez being here would have allowed us to play Gundogan deeper, with B Silva & Sanchez behind Jesus, with Yaya on the bench where his form alludes to where he should be.

This is what I mean by Sanchez replacing Yaya. It's thinking outside of the obvious that separates Guardiola from the average manager. Yaya being replaced by Sanchez allows us to shuffle the midfield accordingly & makes perfect sense to me.

Hopefully you now understand.

Sure but you’re talking about changing our formation to go even more attacking when we are chasing the game. In that scenario and the position you’re suggesting playing Sanchez in then defo he’d be an asset.

However we were talking, or at least I thought we were, of whether Sanchez could do a better job in central midfield than Gundogan, B.Silva or Yaya... which he couldn’t! Sanchez doesn’t have the attributes in his locker to be a successful central midfielder. Could he stand in and do a job there if there was no one else, sure. But he isn’t a long term viable option there because 1) he’d be wasted here and 2) he doesn’t have the right attributes for that position.

Like someone else said, it would be like signing Neymar and playing him as a central midfielder. Pointless.

The one thing that confuses me about us wanting Sanchez is that his pass accuracy is appalling. Nobody in our squad, including Ederson and Mangala, has anywhere near as bad a passing accuracy as Sanchez who manages to complete about 7 in every 10 passes. Am I missing something?

Well maybe the position he is playing, and the style of play involved.

When we want to compare stats we have to keep in mind the quality of those figures.
Dinho is PL top in passes played at an over 90% rate. Can be explained by his job as a link between defence and KDB/Silva.
Question is where on the pitch do we want safety and where do we prefer some risks at the cost of possible failure.

Sanchez job is creating threats. Doesn't matter if his accuracy on that position would be 30% as long as he creates the match winner any game, right?

Sanchez is able to dribble at some speed and still control the ball, also famous for fantastic free kicks. He has an outstanding technique.
I have no doubt he will be able to play at a high accuracy in a different role where accuracy would be crucial.

The one thing that confuses me about us wanting Sanchez is that his pass accuracy is appalling. Nobody in our squad, including Ederson and Mangala, has anywhere near as bad a passing accuracy as Sanchez who manages to complete about 7 in every 10 passes. Am I missing something?
Yes, he tries the extraordinary to unlock tight defences. However, he needs team mates who can understand & read what he's liable to do, just the same way Pep was coaching Sterling on that viral video & in the way Sane said after intense training, he now knew what KDB was liable to do, which is why some people think KDB is telepathic.

He's not, it's all down to practice & understanding. Wenger is known as a manager who trusts his players & allows them artistic licence from midfield to the front.

This is great when your players are streets ahead of everyone else, but when they meet better teams, a plan is needed not just instinct.

In a scenario where we need cover for David Silva, I think both of those players are more suited and have more of the attributes to cover what he does. We'd get the most out of Sanchez by playing him further up the pitch. We have two players there in our squad (Bernardo and Gundogan) who we aren't getting the most out of at the moment. Hopefully it's just a case of Gundogan needing more time to bounce back from his injuries and for Bernardo to adapt, but if we end up in a situation further down the line where Sanchez was seen as a better option to cover/replace Silva than either of those two, then i think that would represent a bit of a failure to have gotten the best out of those players.
What I don't get is your myopic view of 'either/or', as opposed to 'as well as'.

Question: Do you believe Aguero or Jesus could play advanced midfield ahead of Fernandinho?

Sure but you’re talking about changing our formation to go even more attacking when we are chasing the game. In that scenario and the position you’re suggesting playing Sanchez in then defo he’d be an asset.

However we were talking, or at least I thought we were, of whether Sanchez could do a better job in central midfield than Gundogan, B.Silva or Yaya... which he couldn’t! Sanchez doesn’t have the attributes in his locker to be a successful central midfielder. Could he stand in and do a job there if there was no one else, sure. But he isn’t a long term viable option there because 1) he’d be wasted here and 2) he doesn’t have the right attributes for that position.

Like someone else said, it would be like signing Neymar and playing him as a central midfielder. Pointless.
Sanchez has every attribute possible to play as an attacking midfielder. He already does, albeit mostly from a wide position.

This is why Pep is such a visionary. He wanted Sterling at City when his potential was becoming apparent, but what has he said about Sterling's future? It will lie as a No 10, but he has to learn his trade first.

Please don't be offended when I say this, but when Pep thinks outside of the box & you others can't see his vision, it doesn't mean his vision will never be reality. It will, albeit you & several others cannot see this yet which is what separates Pep from our previous incumbent & other run of the mill PL managers.

For Pep's vision regarding Sterling's possibilities, see Sanchez.

Because, as I’ve stated above, I don’t think he has the attributes to play well there. His passing along would be a huge weakness in that position, in our system.
As I've stated above, his passing has to be taken into context of who his team mates are & what the team instructions are, & the methods of training employed.

Please refer to what Sane said about understanding KDB, & the video doing the rounds featuring Pep showing Sterling exactly how he wants him to play football in our team.

I can see the plan very clearly, but there's no shame in it if you can't...

Sanchez has every attribute possible to play as an attacking midfielder. He already does, albeit mostly from a wide position.

This is why Pep is such a visionary. He wanted Sterling at City when his potential was becoming apparent, but what has he said about Sterling's future? It will lie as a No 10, but he has to learn his trade first.

Please don't be offended when I say this, but when Pep thinks outside of the box & you others can't see his vision, it doesn't mean his vision will never be reality. It will, albeit you & several others cannot see this yet which is what separates Pep from our previous incumbent & other run of the mill PL managers.

For Pep's vision regarding Sterling's possibilities, see Sanchez.

1) you’re not pep 2) pep hasn’t said he wants Sanchez to play in central midfield has he?

If you think Sanchez has all the attributes to play as a central midfielder then I think you have little understanding of the game. If Sanchez happens to drop deeper for Arsenal or signs for us and plays in either KDB or Silva’s role and excels then I’ll happily hold my hands up.

Also not sure what the sterling 10 example has to do with us talking about Sanchez playing as a central midfielder but hey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.