Archaeology

BimboBob

In light of the quite funny programme on the BBC, Detectorists, I was wondering if anyone else likes digging old stuff up.

Way back in the bad old days of my life, I've calmed down a lot now, I studied Ancient History/ Archaeology. My goal in life was to become an Archaeologist. The trouble was I preferred messing around with the ladies of the dig rather than lying in muddy ditches all day and soon gave it up. The history part stayed with me though.

After watching the above programme I realised that I have never been metal detectoring.

Has anyone on here actually done this? Is it good fun? Nothing like the programme? I'm thinking I might take it up but don't have the foggiest about it.

Back in the early 80s I spent 6 months with Manchester University Archeology unit, digging up a Roman fort in Saddleworth,
it's called Castleshaw and is just above Delph, it's the sister fort to Castlefield.

I had a really nice summer trowel in hand, digging up a hypocaust, barracks and a kiln.

Not sure if they still do, but they used to welcome amateur volunteers to help in there digs

I don't think they would let a complete amateur metal detectorist loose up there though mate. I spent an age doing what you did, in a similar time frame, but never touched a metal detector. Have you ever used one?

Archaeology is so interesting and living in Orkney I see it every day, could go out to one of our fields and there is an undocumented cairn that nobody outside the family knows about. I could be driving to work one day and go past some standing stones 500-1000 years older than Stonehenge or a settlement older than the pyramids.

All very interesting, just a shame its difficult to make a career out of.

I have a metal detector but have no idea how to use it!

I live near an old Iron Age hill fort. Just from field walking we found some interesting but useless stuff. Wouldn't mind giving it a go over with a detector but have no idea where to start.

Archaeology is so interesting and living in Orkney I see it every day, could go out to one of our fields and there is an undocumented cairn that nobody outside the family knows about. I could be driving to work one day and go past some standing stones 500-1000 years older than Stonehenge or a settlement older than the pyramids.

All very interesting, just a shame its difficult to make a career out of.

Take it to a field. Switch the on button to on. Make sweeping movement as you walk forward, or indeed backwards, if you're that way inclined.

As you walk you may be startled when you hear a high pitched tone.

Don't panic!

Just sweep the device over the spot that causes the noise. If it repeats, get your shovel out and start digging.

NB. Make sure you switch off the device while you dig up that old Coke can, or it will run out of charge.

Good hunting :)!

I don't think they would let a complete amateur metal detectorist loose up there though mate. I spent an age doing what you did, in a similar time frame, but never touched a metal detector. Have you ever used one?
I've seen metal detectorists on Time Team going over the spoil heaps? I've not used one myself, but I have considered buying one.

Take it to a field. Switch the on button to on. Make sweeping movement as you walk forward, or indeed backwards, if you're that way inclined.

As you walk you may be startled when you hear a high pitched tone.

Don't panic!

Just sweep the device over the spot that causes the noise. If it repeats, get your shovel out and start digging.

NB. Make sure you switch off the device while you dig up that old Coke can, or it will run out of charge.

Good hunting :)!

Not sure what youre on about, this is me mate using our detector last weekend, didnt have much luck

220px-Agriculture_in_Britain-_Life_on_George_Casely%27s_Farm%2C_Devon%2C_England%2C_1942_D9817.jpg

Not sure what youre on about, this is me mate using our detector last weekend, didnt have much luck

220px-Agriculture_in_Britain-_Life_on_George_Casely%27s_Farm%2C_Devon%2C_England%2C_1942_D9817.jpg

That was you're first mistake.

Repeated scientific testing of this method, have consistently shown that they couldn't find water at the seaside. Of course, even when these diviner's are shown to be talking bollocks, they refuse to accept the fact they couldn't really do it and usually go in a huff. :)

Very entertaining.

In fact, here is Dawkins showing a selection of the deluded they have fuck all powers. Of course, like anyone who holds a strong belief, when they are presented with facts, they choose excuses.

Enjoy

Last edited:
In light of the quite funny programme on the BBC, Detectorists, I was wondering if anyone else likes digging old stuff up.

Way back in the bad old days of my life, I've calmed down a lot now, I studied Ancient History/ Archaeology. My goal in life was to become an Archaeologist. The trouble was I preferred messing around with the ladies of the dig rather than lying in muddy ditches all day and soon gave it up. The history part stayed with me though.

After watching the above programme I realised that I have never been metal detectoring.

Has anyone on here actually done this? Is it good fun? Nothing like the programme? I'm thinking I might take it up but don't have the foggiest about it.
Did a tour of Northern Stone Circles with my brother. We didn’t find much but did unwittingly come across a fashioned bone. It looked as if it had been used as some kind of tool. Obviously, being bone, it wasn’t picked up by the detector. We found it trying to locate the metal signal we found.
Other find of note was discovering a Victorian woman’s (or girls) possessions buried in a cave in Hardcastle Craggs. Clothes, wig, toys and crockery. Really spooked us as we felt we’d find a body if we kept digging. The sun was beginning to set outside the cave and the atmosphere inside, with the diminishing dusk half light, was enough for us to down tools and leave quick sharp. Never returned.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.