Shakhtar (a) Post Match thread

Nothing in the grand scheme of things and you could even make an argument that a loss might actually be the right tonic ahead of the derby. But these occasions are always useful to see how the backup players & youth can perform in difficult conditions, this cannot be gained from merely training or the occasional spot mopup duty
Agreed.

To be honest, it was Bernardo Silva, who disappointed me more than anyone else (again) tonight. Really had high hopes for the lad after he was signed.

I know he’s still young, but he’s quite a lot older (and has a lot more first team experience under his belt, albeit in another country) than the likes of Foden or Brahim, who tonight, despite defeat, grasped their chance with relish, rather than the awfull trepidation that poor Bernardo currently seems to experience every time he is given a first team opportunity.

I’ve no doubt he has the ability, (As shown by his two fine performances against us for Monaco last season) but he seems totally overawed both by,
(A) The stature of the two players he’s currently having to compete with for a place in the side, and (B) The size of the club.

Agree with that. I’ve been disappointed with Silva so far. Interesting for me last night was that Diaz looked much more of a threat and seemed to be doing the things that I thought silva would be doing!

a lot of bellyaching going on, and it wasn't great at times, but we were playing against a good team where it meant a hell of a lot more to them than it did to us and that was a big factor plus the upcoming game i'm sure was another factor, whether we like it or not it would of affected the attitude even if was just a couple of percentage points down. you can't do it at this level.
i'm sure their second wouldn't have happened if the game was on the line
diaz was a fresh of breath air, it just confirmed that we have two gems in ours midst with the stockport iniesta

The only positive from the last night is we were not four down at the end of the first half. Playing high press with Yaya in middle-field - even if we don't concede after blistering counter attack - is not aesthetically pleasing to the eye. And the less said about our right side with Danilo and B. Silva, the better. There is currently an unbridgeable gap between those two and Walker/Sterling pairing. I like B. Silva a lot and believe he'll succeed in finding form sooner or later. Watching him playing right now looks like he's stuck in his own universe where he needs some sort of a wormhole to reconnect with the rest of the team.

There is no such thing as a dead rubber game, all top teams want to win end of. It showed everyone last night that a couple of key injuries and we are gonna struggle because the drop off in quality was seriously lacking. Another big transfer window...

you can't expect them to sit out for 3 games and then suddenly jump in and start with a couple of kids and be capable of the level they reached when we bought, when they played every week in much better sides in their preferred position.

The first half will be a good Plan B formation if we get another LB and would suit Bernardo if he actually played in it with first-teamers. If we're not prepared to use him properly then why expect him to play properly?
I agree, the issue is not changing these 2 in and out, it's doing it with 6 other changes, once a month, and expecting miracles. Both need to play more, but in the first team, not a reserve team like last night.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as a dead rubber game, all top teams want to win end of. It showed everyone last night that a couple of key injuries and we are gonna struggle because the drop off in quality was seriously lacking. Another big transfer window...

I agree, if we have 8 first team members out plus Mendy and Stones we probably will struggle.

We lost. Big wow. We did OK with a team of maInly youth and fringe players. Could have got a draw, maybe even a win, with a bit of luck. Oh and the referee gave us nothing.
My only concern was how bad Danilo was.
Next.

Watching it back this afternoon. Ok, we got beat, but it had been said already about fringe and developing players.
Honestly expected more effort from Danilo who looks completely out of his depth which is worrying. Sane looked a little lazy and like he’s suffering from pinball problem, Bernado running around but not achieving very much. On a plus Foden and Diaz are going to be superstars.
We still don’t move the ball on quick enough. We didn’t need to risk our main players, so not sure why Ferni was playing.
At least we have most of our players available for the visit to the swamp.
Fingers crossed for Magic Dave.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.