United thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope that come April, we're both at full strength, no injuries or suspensions and we humiliate them at home.

The problem with Lukaku is he's not good enough to play for a team who aspire to be at the top of world football, and he never will be.

His goalscoring record for Everton was incredible, a 0.5 goals per game at a club that bad is brilliant, but the best strikers do more than just finish chances, and he showed time after time his hold up play was poor, he's not got a creative bone in his body, and his touch isn't good enough to play with creative players in and around the box.

Making him a scapegoat won't help them or him, but the sad truth for them is they spent £100m on player who will never fit into a top side, and now they have to soldier on building the team around someone who'll do nothing but finish big, clear cut chances you create for him.

The redcafe postmortem has circled back to Morata vs. Lukaku again and the debate is embarrassing. Morata is several levels above Lukaku at everything.
I don't think Morata is. Maybe he's a bit easier on the eye but he has long been questioned about how clinical he really is and just this week alone he missed 2 great chances: one to beat Atletico and top the group meaning they'd avoid a tough draw (now have Barca) and the second to equalise against West Ham and keep any faint title hopes alive.

Lukaku's general play has been surprising decent so far, it's his lack of composure at times in the box which has been worrying.

Good post.

I suppose until he is tried at the highest level his capability is not known, the art is to find a player who can improve like Pep has done or buy the finished article (which he obviously is not)
Says a lot about those who bought him rather than the player himself. Same with any team I suppose including City but having a punt on Lukaku at near 100 K was a buying mistake, their original offer around 50 K made more sense but they blew Chelsea out of the race and started the new price escalation.

Having said that we have our failures eg Bravo and others but look at what Pep has done with many of our players, he has improved most and changed them all into team players.
Bravo was slightly different, because we needed a keeper who could pass the ball.
So we could learn a system, otherwise we would have wasted a season.
But I get your point and we have paid over the odds to get where we are.
And Utd are doing the same, a lot more haphazardly it seems.

Pogba is a decent player dont get me wrong but i dont think he would have made a blind bit of difference to the result yesterday.
He may have provided Lumpkaku with a bit more service yes, but he would have spent most of the game chasing kevin, david and dinho.

We didnt have our record scorer on the pitch, our first choice LB, our best CB this season in Stones, or club legend vinnie for 45mins and we have had to play a CM in at LB and for a while yesterday we had dinho at CB.........now that too me is a lot more of a disruption to a team than missing a dabber and dancer?? Or am i viewing things through my blue tinted specs again??

I don't think Morata is. Maybe he's a bit easier on the eye but he has long been questioned about how clinical he really is and just this week alone he missed 2 great chances: one to beat Atletico and top the group meaning they'd avoid a tough draw (now have Barca) and the second to equalise against West Ham and keep any faint title hopes alive.

Lukaku's general play has been surprising decent so far, it's his lack of composure at times in the box which has been worrying.

No one has axctually been questioning how clinical he is though...only United fans desperate to feel he's worse than Lukaku.

He scored half a dozen massive goals for Real last season, without which they'd have lost the title. He's already won a few games for Chelsea including the game vs. you lot, and at Juventus he was known for scoring massive goals.

He scored the winner vs. us which let Juve top the group, he scored 5 goals in the KO rounds as Juventus went to the final in 2015, including winners against Real in the semi's and Dortmund in the last 16.

Morata is a big game player, who socres big goals when they're needed, he's got a track record of doing so.

His all round play is on another level to Lukaku, the only question mark was if he'd be a 20-30 goal a season striker when starting every game because he'd always had to share game time, and so far, 9 from 15 games at Chelsea, that certainly seems to be the case.

No one has axctually been questioning how clinical he is though...only United fans desperate to feel he's worse than Lukaku.

He scored half a dozen massive goals for Real last season, without which they'd have lost the title. He's already won a few games for Chelsea including the game vs. you lot, and at Juventus he was known for scoring massive goals.

He scored the winner vs. us which let Juve top the group, he scored 5 goals in the KO rounds as Juventus went to the final in 2015, including winners against Real in the semi's and Dortmund in the last 16.

Morata is a big game player, who socres big goals when they're needed, he's got a track record of doing so.

His all round play is on another level to Lukaku, the only question mark was if he'd be a 20-30 goal a season striker when starting every game because he'd always had to share game time, and so far, 9 from 15 games at Chelsea, that certainly seems to be the case.
Nah am not convinced and a lot of Chelsea fans aren't either. I've seen the comparison with Torres ie: nice general play but spurns too many chances. I wouldn't focus too much on his past because it's a different pressure being first choice striker compared to coming off the bench or playing from wide as he did sometimes at Juve. Personally I think full judgements should be made on both next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.