Power Rankings in Europe

How the fuck are any of the other English teams on that list when Napoli aren't?
Napoli are 11 on the list - but they're in danger of not even advancing past the group stage.

You've pointed out a flaw in trusting the 1-10 list of oddsmaker's favorites to win the C/L - some lower ranking teams may in fact have appeared higher in a power ranking, save that their group/performance in the C/L is such, that they are facing inordinate odds against advancement.

Napoli, in particular, are in big danger of dropping out.

Last edited:
Hislop's ratings aren't just based on European competition, they're also based on domestic performance.
Moreover, his rankings are not confined to European teams - South American squads have made his top 10 list in years past.

The rankings are, I suppose, a just-for-fun stat, if a bit frivolous - it's highly subjective.

And Shaka's rankings don't seem too far off of what I'd pick.

That said, Shaka Hislop isn't an astute analyst - nor are any of the ESPNFC regulars (Craig Burley is the sharpest of the bunch though and isn't too bad at all - I rather like his analysis though it could do without the over-the-top emotional display).

If you want a more accurate reflection of a teams power ranking I suggest you use FiveThirtyEight rather than the opinion of one man based on a random set of fixtures.

538 do factor in historical data which would explain why Real Madrid and the Bavarian rags are currently ranked higher than City, although only by a rizla paper

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/global-club-soccer-rankings/

The betting match prices generated generally echo these rankings although team news, scheduling and other variables need to be applied on top of the base rating.

Looking at Oddschecker to ascertain a teams power ranking is flawed particularly as most listed bookmakers just use scraping tools to generate prices, the methodology used to generate outright prices is often fundamentally flawed at bookmakers

If you want a more accurate reflection of a teams power ranking I suggest you use FiveThirtyEight rather than the opinion of one man based on a random set of fixtures.

538 do factor in historical data which would explain why Real Madrid and the Bavarian rags are currently ranked higher than City, although only by a rizla paper

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/global-club-soccer-rankings/

The betting match prices generated generally echo these rankings although team news, scheduling and other variables need to be applied on top of the base rating.

Looking at Oddschecker to ascertain a teams power ranking is flawed particularly as most listed bookmakers just use scraping tools to generate prices, the methodology used to generate outright prices is often fundamentally flawed at bookmakers
Another index I look at is the Euro club index:
https://www.euroclubindex.com
We are currently ranked 5th in Europe.
It also simplicticly predicts odds of individual matches and competitions. According to their predictions, there is a 95% chance of us winning the PL, and an 11% chance of us winning the CL. After each game points are awarded to change each teams ranking score.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.