Nicolas Otamendi - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
@domalino @Andrew___K

You know how much I respect both of your opinions. Would you swap Nico for anyone right now? If so why?

No, but that's because he has improved and changed so much from the player in the video you linked to. His only enduring problem is a lack of pace, and I'm not sure he'll ever get past that in this system so I guess we'll see in 2 weeks time if it's a problem that we as a team can cover up, or if it's always going to be a weak link in which case we might need to find a pacey 3rd choice to bring in for games like Liverpool in the future.

@domalino @Andrew___K

You know how much I respect both of your opinions. Would you swap Nico for anyone right now? If so why?
In 'football manager world' I'd swap him for some younger and faster left-footed defender (say, Umtiti). But since we're in a real world and Pep has suddenly turned Otamendi into Carles Puyol with passing ability, no. He has proved his capacity to learn and will probably become even better next season.

What's interesting, Puyol had the same (though less drastic) transformation under Pep: from 'almost finished' rotation player in 08 to almost flawless in 10-12.

No, but that's because he has improved and changed so much from the player in the video you linked to. His only enduring problem is a lack of pace, and I'm not sure he'll ever get past that in this system so I guess we'll see in 2 weeks time if it's a problem that we as a team can cover up, or if it's always going to be a weak link in which case we might need to find a pacey 3rd choice to bring in for games like Liverpool in the future.
I think more so than him changing, the team, the way it defends (i.e. from the front and in a press), the way we possesses the ball have drastically reduced the numbers of such situations.

Otamendi might have improved a lot (but almost all of that improvement is in possession. The absence of the conditions that causes him to last "ditch effort slide" has significantly more to do with Sane, Sterling, Silva and especially Debryune and their improvement in possession and the press than it has to do with Otamendi himself.

Simply put the very conditions mostly present in that video have virtually disappeared. They are few and far in between. So it's not so much that Otamendi has improved but rather it's that the team had improved so much that he is spared from doing do much

Aside from his ability in the air, he still looks suspect defensively to me. He struggles against pace and was fortunate not to concede a penalty in injury time tonight. Thankfully he's excellent on the ball and a great competitor.

Aside from his ability in the air, he still looks suspect defensively to me. He struggles against pace and was fortunate not to concede a penalty in injury time tonight. Thankfully he's excellent on the ball and a great competitor.

He doesn’t look suspect defensively to me at all personally. At least no more than any defender in world football.

If the POTS award was handed out now I’d vote for Otamendi in a heartbeat

He doesn’t look suspect defensively to me at all personally. At least no more than any defender in world football.

If the POTS award was handed out now I’d vote for Otamendi in a heartbeat
I think Otamendi is city’s most improved player.he looks comfortable on the ball, his passing is excellent and yes he goes in early bu5 only lik3 Vincent does, when he thinks it’s do or die, I’m loving him and feel comfortable when he is in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.