Inigo Martinez

For £53M the 2 most likely additions (Sanchez and Martinez) make a huge difference to the most stretched area of our team, especially if Martinez being left sided can cover left back if Delph injured or rested - can he play there?

If Martinez has a buy out clause we're willing to meet then I'd have thought he'd already be signed.

Maybe we are trying a lower price first

Probably and La Real are not easily pushed over on fees, especially when rich clubs enter into it but I suspect that either Txiki et al are looking at more than option or simply trying to negotiate the fee down. The good is that Txiki is Basque himself and has had plenty of interactions with the Basque clubs but Primera Sporting directors see an English club calling and they start rubbing their hands together

Why does this feel like a desperate signing? Not a panic buy mind, but a desperate one nevertheless. Like I see all our transfers under Pep and there's clearly two kinds - players who were the 1st choice and the club was hell bent on getting them in and the backups who we would never buy in an ideal situation but kinda had to because of the market. Bravo, Nolito and Danilo are the only players we've bought under Pep who fall under that second category. It doesn't matter the level at which they're performing when we bought them, all of them were clearly not 1st choices. We bought Bravo because there was literally nobody available that late in the window and Ter Stegen wasn't coming, Nolito was clearly a random buy for a squad place because he was performing good and was incredibly cheap and we went for Danilo because Alves fucked us over and there was no other experienced RB in the market in the 20-30 mil range. And just look at how all three turned out. Jury might be still out for Danilo but he's never going to be a top player, is he? Martinez is very much like that. He'll probably turn in okay performances when Otamendi and Stones are not available, but I don't see how he would be challenging for a starting place. I don't care if we sign JFE or Martinez cause they're not competing for the top spot, will only play in the league cup or when one of the main guys are injured and they sure as shit ain't improving the squad quality by their presence.

Why does this feel like a desperate signing? Not a panic buy mind, but a desperate one nevertheless. Like I see all our transfers under Pep and there's clearly two kinds - players who were the 1st choice and the club was hell bent on getting them in and the backups who we would never buy in an ideal situation but kinda had to because of the market. Bravo, Nolito and Danilo are the only players we've bought under Pep who fall under that second category. It doesn't matter the level at which they're performing when we bought them, all of them were clearly not 1st choices. We bought Bravo because there was literally nobody available that late in the window and Ter Stegen wasn't coming, Nolito was clearly a random buy for a squad place because he was performing good and was incredibly cheap and we went for Danilo because Alves fucked us over and there was no other experienced RB in the market in the 20-30 mil range. And just look at how all three turned out. Jury might be still out for Danilo but he's never going to be a top player, is he? Martinez is very much like that. He'll probably turn in okay performances when Otamendi and Stones are not available, but I don't see how he would be challenging for a starting place. I don't care if we sign JFE or Martinez cause they're not competing for the top spot, will only play in the league cup or when one of the main guys are injured and they sure as shit ain't improving the squad quality by their presence.

A bit harsh on Danilo, IMHO. We cant be getting in absolute nailed on top drawer players to be back-ups to Walker and Mendy, both of whom were absolutely our first choices. I think you can be all guns for your first XI but after that players will know themselves that they are coming to fight for a rotation slot. Gundogan, for example, is a very talented player like B Silva, players that would get into most sides I would have thought. Not ours. Danilo is as good a rotation defender as you will get in today's market and at his price due to the top ones being twice the price and demanding regular first team football. It is good that our back-ups are as good as they are, but we are not going to be able to buy higher quality when they know fine well that they won't play. I think the wicket is queered when it comes to Kun and Jesus as they do rotate...thought Jesus was a bargain 27m, cheaper than Danilo. Weird.

I think the point I am making badly is that Martinez is back-up. Stones and Otters/Kompamy are our first choices...VVD knew this I suspect and knew he wouldn't be guaranteed a start. Still, 75m for him is absurd, he's no better than Otamendi, a player that worries me as much as he also impresses me.

I think the point I am making badly is that Martinez is back-up. Stones and Otters/Kompamy are our first choices...VVD knew this I suspect and knew he wouldn't be guaranteed a start. Still, 75m for him is absurd, he's no better than Otamendi, a player that worries me as much as he also impresses me.
I am not sure this is right at all as Kompany will no longer be considered first choice due to his injury problems and Pep hinted as such when he said that he could no longer rely on him. If Martinez does come in then expect he will compete with Otamendi and Stones and when Mendy is fit play as part of a three. Otamendi has also played a lot of games and will be rested. I accept the assessment of Nolito but not of Bravo or Danilo. Bravo was awful but that was difficult to predict as prior to that he'd been decent at Barca but clearly not as good as Her Stegen. Danilo has done alright when he's played at RB but we didn't pay too much and expect in the Summer he will be let go with Maffeo returning to compete with Walker and freeing up another overseas spot. I've not seen enough of Martinez to be truly convinced but look at what Pep has done with Stones, Otamendi and Walker all of whom have improved massively. I am sure he could do the same with Martinez.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.