House Buying / Selling Thread

Provided the private schools near you are any good.

There are a lot of shit ones out there.

Thought I'd bump this instead of starting a new thread.

I've just started the process of buying / selling a house.

My house is just about to go online next week so not had any viewings / offers yet but had a look at a few ourselves.

Went to see two house today that were good and would consider buying - they are next door but one to each other so similar in size and both on for £190k.

House A was an older couple who want a bungalow. House needs a fair bit to be done to it was it is old fashioned but good size. Would need a new kitchen and bathroom and plastering and decorating throughout. They haven't found anywhere yet themselves and are waiting until they sell to have a proper look around. Been on since beginning of Oct.

House B was a bit better and slightly bigger. Younger couple so décor more to our taste although could do with touching up in most places and a new kitchen definitely needed. They have found somewhere else in York and had an offer accepted. The wife is working there and staying with family / friends with the kids while husband stays here most of the time. Been on since beginning of Nov.

I'd go for either but the price would need to come down to pay for the work needed to be done and obviously the cheaper the better!
What do I tell the estate agents when they ring to find out what we thought so that I can get the prices lowered?
When should I make an offer and how much for?

Same question for me too, please. I’ve spotted a flat that’s been on the market for 8 months and is vacant / chain free. If I pull in favours from family (soft loans) then I’ll make a cash offer. I want to pay at least 8% less than the asking price. It’s less than six figures in total. It’s a small mortgage otherwise.

The bathroom mings but the rest is ok. I’m not arsed about schools as I have no kids but as long as the area isn’t affectionately known to the locals as Beirut then I’m happy enough.

As before, one suggestion of mine is to visit the area at night. It can change considerably.

Same question for me too, please. I’ve spotted a flat that’s been on the market for 8 months and is vacant / chain free. If I pull in favours from family (soft loans) then I’ll make a cash offer. I want to pay at least 8% less than the asking price. It’s less than six figures in total. It’s a small mortgage otherwise.

The bathroom mings but the rest is ok. I’m not arsed about schools as I have no kids but as long as the area isn’t affectionately known to the locals as Beirut then I’m happy enough.

As before, one suggestion of mine is to visit the area at night. It can change considerably.

The average ' reduction ' in price is about 6% and as they say, if you dont ask, you dont get. Put in a cheeky bid, you can improve on it if you wish.
Visit the place during rush hour, it may be a rat run.

Anyone know how long you've got to live in a previously let property to dodge capital gains liability before selling it? All I can find online is that you have to move back in, but not for how long.

Thought I'd bump this instead of starting a new thread.

I've just started the process of buying / selling a house.

My house is just about to go online next week so not had any viewings / offers yet but had a look at a few ourselves.

Went to see two house today that were good and would consider buying - they are next door but one to each other so similar in size and both on for £190k.

House A was an older couple who want a bungalow. House needs a fair bit to be done to it was it is old fashioned but good size. Would need a new kitchen and bathroom and plastering and decorating throughout. They haven't found anywhere yet themselves and are waiting until they sell to have a proper look around. Been on since beginning of Oct.

House B was a bit better and slightly bigger. Younger couple so décor more to our taste although could do with touching up in most places and a new kitchen definitely needed. They have found somewhere else in York and had an offer accepted. The wife is working there and staying with family / friends with the kids while husband stays here most of the time. Been on since beginning of Nov.

I'd go for either but the price would need to come down to pay for the work needed to be done and obviously the cheaper the better!
What do I tell the estate agents when they ring to find out what we thought so that I can get the prices lowered?
When should I make an offer and how much for?

A lot of people now won't entertain an offer unless you have sold yours. Option B is particularly unlikely to. If you sell then you are in a strong position for house B if it is still available. We got 8% off ours but I accepted an offer on mine that was 6% lower than asking price so swings and roundabouts really.

In your position I'd go in 15%-20% less as a cash buyer with it being on the market for that long.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.