More trams

The problem is very simple: they just don't put enough trams on after matches.

They can't deny this. I have been to events to Sheffield Arena. When the event finishes there will be a queue of at least 6 trams at one time before turning back and heading back into Sheffield.

I got the trams once when we played Liverpool 4 years ago. We had to wait in the freezing cold for 40 minutes when the match finished. And they expect me to pay for the privilege? Never again!

That's what I was thinking the hadfield line could run that way and still stop at ashburys, it would also have people coming from gorton, audenshaw, guide bridge glossop etc not having to go via town or walking up to ashburys or using the old road buses.

Also as you say a link up to Vic may open it up to routes to lancashire.
I've always yes this , you could have a match day shuttle from Victoria, then none match days you could give south eastern services access to Victoria and connections north .
Ps now the new link that links Piccadilly to Victoria is opened , maybe a new station and new services could run from the south through the city centre stations and on to a new station next to the stadium ?

There is still apparently a power supply issue. You can't have too many trams on one section.

On a side note and maybe someone will know, the train line that runs next to the mercedes garage.
Is it still in service, as it conects to dilly and the lines heading to ashburys so, (and I know it would probably be a major task due to it being national rail schedules) couldn't the club look at a station being built like the swamp and see if trains running that line from dilly could stop there?

Just a thought
The swamp train isn't that popular. I think it's just one train that shuttles to and from town so there are only three trains back to town, half an hour apart. Conversely, there are some stations near grounds that used to have services but were closed for safety reasons - overcrowding! - (and Holloway Road and Drayton Park at Arsenal are shut on match days).

It would doubtless cost big bucks to build a station and I would guess signalling improvements, but it's needed! Some trains that currently run into Picc. could be diverted that way and run to VIc. The station would not just serve City on match days but would be an asset for the whole area under development. City will never reach the potential they aspire to while transport to and from the ground is so piss poor. Can no one see that many people are put off going by the sheer hassle involved in getting to and from the ground?
I agree fully Brian, we should be thinking much bigger here than a tram or two extra as it will always be a bit of paper over a crack. A shuttle to viccy station though for my situation alone would fix everything.

With driverless tech coming on so much i see no reason we should not look to this ourselves with automated trams. Many cities have trams and selling an automated system that proved its self in Manchester to others is not science fiction thinking is it. It is not beyond the ken of modern man anyway.

The city is growing in general terms anyway. Even in my home town of Hazel Grove they have carparks now for shuttle services into town. Never existed a few years ago that and it is tangible evidence of the growth in the area.

We need to look bigger or find ourselves screwed in 10 years with human traffic.

The swamp train isn't that popular. I think it's just one train that shuttles to and from town so there are only three trains back to town, half an hour apart. Conversely, there are some stations near grounds that used to have services but were closed for safety reasons - overcrowding! - (and Holloway Road and Drayton Park at Arsenal are shut on match days).

they have 3 different metrolink stops. We have a single line which doesn't help.

I've never understood the deal with the train stations at Arsenal, they made a big thing about using public transport, yet have stations shut near the stadium , and basically put pressure on one tube station . I think the biggest problem with the public transport system in this country (and Gtr Manchester) is the people in charge of it . It's not about service , it's about money , how much can they make, for the least spent !

...and so the answer is...drum roll.. LESS TRAMS (ok FEWER!)
https://tfgm.com/news/service-pattern-change-2018

Alty services (which were doubled on match days) will stop at Piccadilly, and only the Media City ones will now run through to the Etihad, which will probably be singles. As they don't run after 8, there's a reduced regular service, and we'll be forced to rely on any additional scraps Metrolink throw for us. As an enthusiastic tram user, I'm very pissed off by this - the vast majority of tram users get on the Alty services and travel right through to Sale and beyond. Changing at Cornbrook on a freezing winter night doesn't appeal.

...and so the answer is...drum roll.. LESS TRAMS (ok FEWER!)
https://tfgm.com/news/service-pattern-change-2018

Alty services (which were doubled on match days) will stop at Piccadilly, and only the Media City ones will now run through to the Etihad, which will probably be singles. As they don't run after 8, there's a reduced regular service, and we'll be forced to rely on any additional scraps Metrolink throw for us. As an enthusiastic tram user, I'm very pissed off by this - the vast majority of tram users get on the Alty services and travel right through to Sale and beyond. Changing at Cornbrook on a freezing winter night doesn't appeal.

I shall tweet and ask what they are planning for match days, the twitter page normally responds

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.