Singing section/Atmosphere

Absolutely spot on.

Level 1 at the Etihad is too small! We need a larger/deeper stand

someone made a good point on another thread. when we sang blue moon the other night in the second half, it was really loud. the whole stand was in unison and everyone pretty much in the stand was singing. having no away fans, that divide our fans makes a huge difference and having a bigger level 1 section would help massively. having more numbers alone helps.

Last edited:
moving the singing area into ss3 wont happen. the main reason for that is that i don't think they would allow standing in ss3.
You don't need to stand to sing, but people do stand in 314 and 315, problem is there won't be many spaces available as most of us like the view, and many do sing anyway. We cant hear the lowest section in there anyway.

You don't need to stand to sing, but people do stand in 314 and 315, problem is there won't be many spaces available as most of us like the view, and many do sing anyway. We cant hear the lowest section in there anyway.

you are right you don't need to stand. however i think they go together. if you want a proper home end or a singing bit in ss3 i think it would be miles better standing. if it was sat down now, it would just be the same as now imo. on the other bit i agree it would be almost impossible to implement. id say it was acoustics, but i think its more just not enough people singing. i remember against teams like aris and poznan, I was in east stand level 3 for aris ( from what i remember) and i could hear word for word what they were singing.

it needs to be in the family stand first tier, with no away fans at all. move the family stand st holder who want to move into an expanded second tier or third tier and offer them cheaper tickets.

it needs to be in the family stand first tier, with no away fans at all.
But the first tier is firstly a shit view from my experiences, and secondly any noise generated dissipates because there is no roof to bounce it down. The best part of any stadium to create noise is under the roof, and anyone saying acoustics is not the issue is wrong.

If/when we extend the NS, this should be the focus, getting a few thousand people together, in level 3, under the roof, who will make noise, but it needs the club and fans on board together to do it.

There are thousands that sing even now, but they re dispersed across the stadium, and many are in areas where the acoustics are shite. In SS3 we genuinely cant hear the singing section in SS1, and SS2 is between both who don't seem to make much noise.

But the first tier is firstly a shit view from my experiences, and secondly any noise generated dissipates because there is no roof to bounce it down. The best part of any stadium to create noise is under the roof, and anyone saying acoustics is not the issue is wrong.

If/when we extend the NS, this should be the focus, getting a few thousand people together, in level 3, under the roof, who will make noise, but it needs the club and fans on board together to do it.

There are thousands that sing even now, but they re dispersed across the stadium, and many are in areas where the acoustics are shite. In SS3 we genuinely cant hear the singing section in SS1, and SS2 is between both who don't seem to make much noise.

fair enough if you think its a shit view, but usually home ends or singing sections are close to the pitch. if everyone actually sang in the south stand the noise wouldn't just disappear imo. i didnt say acoustics weren't a factor, but if if more people sang i think it would help that. as i said poznan, aris, who were in the lower tiers, you could hear everything they sang fine. I don't think having a singing section high in the gods is the answer. it could work, but for me ss3 feels too far removed from the rest of the ground. we have fans in there now as well and it makes no difference.

If we create the exact same layout as the south stand in the north stand i think it would be a waste. you'd have the exact same problems as now - stands being broken up and not having a big enough singing section. if the the 1st and second tier in the south stand was one stand i think you'd be able to hear each other and more would join in. thats why imo the family stand is ideal. its not near away fans, close to the pitch. it would have to be a single tier or two tiers for it to work though. get all those dispersed singers in there.

even on numbers alone, just say the whole of ss3 was a singing section - its not big enough imo. the Kops what 14,000 and wed have maybe 5,000 ? in ss3.

Last edited:
The atmosphere at Maine Road was incredible, most of that was because we were shit, fans now expect us to win games and comfortably, all that happens now is if we are not 1 up in 25 minutes is the crowd sing come on city come on city, etihad has been shit atmosphere from day 1, I personally don't think we will ever get that atmosphere back, but what do fans want? Great atmosphere shit team? Or an average at best atmosphere and a great team? He may be cu*t but Keane was right when you become successful you get the prawn brigade

Occasionally it was great (usually against united), but it certainly wasn't incredible 90% of the time.

The MR atmosphere is pretty much a myth, unless we were on a great season, and most often we weren't.

Also it was rarely anywhere near full, unlike now.

A lot of the time we weren't in the top flight though, yet our home crowds were still bigger than half the premier league clubs. There were also many dark years to endure, seemingly endless at times.
If you go back to the 70's, that was the Maine Road decade for me, great football, great attendances, great atmosphere all round the ground, not just the Kippax, right through the decade.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.