The importance of Wembley 1999

bugsyblue

Interesting article in the MUEN. I'd say it's personally for me the second best game I've ever been to after THAT game. I was only 11/12 at the time so probably different experiencing the highs and lows of football for an adult because I don't think I grasped the magnitude of losing that one match.

Bernstein was, for me, our greatest chairman. Current owners and chairmen not included...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ball-news/man-city-wembley-1999-most-9796326?

Sums up exactly why we love this club one minute it's can't believe you've done this to us again you shower of twats, next it's I love you more than anything in the world that day lives long in the memory

we'll never know, as we won :-)

teams like burnley, stoke, brighton show that it is possible to come back from the brink.
Took them years but thankfully we will never know what would have happened had we lost.

It's importance though is plain to see, without that win we probably would be nowhere near where we are now

Last edited:
Certainly the most important win in our history IMO. I remember Bernstein saying that we wouldn't have agreed to the new stadium if we hadn't won that day.

For me the most important day in our history also.
That day was about survival. No win in 1999 would have meant
no new stadium. No new stadium would have meant no takeover in 2008.

93:20 day was about glory. 1999 was about the very survival of City as a club.
There really is no comparison.

Only city fans know what real emotions in football mean no other fans can understand what we went through that day, the journey home was very strange a feeling of complete numbness.
Would I swap it would I fuck it's what makes us city fans and I am proud of it in a sick way.

I don’t think that the importance of that play-off victory can be overstated, no matter how we’d won it.

But the fact that we really did come back from the brink makes it a very special day in the history of this great club.

I saw many leave the stadium at 0-2, and even when SuperKev MK I scored, a lot of those that were still in their seats didn’t bother celebrating.

We never thought we’d see anything like that again...

This was the only "final" I attended with my brother and dad (brother emigrated a few years later and dad's health not been good since), so has real meaning to me.

From the footballing point of view, there is no doubt in my mind that we would not be the club we are now without it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.