The importance of Wembley 1999

At Preston in the pre season friendly after the play off I was talking to Bernstein and he told me that if we had lost at Wembley we would have gone bust.

Thought it was Bury - Preston was in 1998.

Everyone heard that tale, it was well publicised what he had said. However he also said Joe Royle's position wasn't in question after the relegation at Ipswich, but then sacked him.

I was lucky enough to be at the 1999 Wembley playoff final ... even luckier to blag 4 corporate tickets from work ... even luckier to be sat a few tables away from Oasis ... and even luckier to be there with my brother (no longer with us) and our two sons - what a day

After the game it was free booze but the couple who shared our table got a bottle of pre-ordered champagne - he said to her “how did you know we would win” to which she replied you our joint amazement “I didn’t .... but I do know you are going to be a Dad” ...!!!!!

I wonder where they are now!!!! Maybe the youngster was stood next to us in NE corner 13 years later when Agueroooooo happened

Come on City

simply the most important match in our history, still raises the hairs on my neck

Like the OP I was younger at the time (9) and didn’t quite understand the magnitude of our situation but being at Wembley and the sheer emotion of the Wigan game really built the game up for me. At 2-0 down I was crying my eyes out, my dad wanted to leave but I insisted we stay and I am so glad we did. If it wasn’t for Aguero the Dickov celebrations would be he single greatest moment in my city supporting career. Aguero shades it now because it is more recent and raw. Both equally important for very different reasons. I do wonder how crazy we must have looked from the Gillingham fans end.

A few years back I got messaged by a Gillingham fan after commenting on a play off final video.

He said looking on from the other end of the ground it looked like the most crazy and mad celebration he had ever seen.

It wasn't just about the stadium. It has been said that the bank were ready to pull the plug.
If City had not won, the best case scenario was receivership.

People were so angry when we went two down that day. I stated to leave and fans were kicking the bins around and literally having tantrums. I remember thinking the rage was frightening but totally understandable. I went back to my seat after hearing the half-hearted, 5 seconds worth of cheers when Horlock scored. Weird noises were being made when Dickov scored. Half wail, half ecstatic, frenzied plot loss. My cousin fell into the next row and later on, couldn't remember how it happened.

But as for how things would have panned out if we''d lost, I always thought that was overblown. City would have made it out of that division the following season anyway. We were a yo-yo club like no other back then. We always made it back eventually. Not sure a year would have changed our destiny. Might be wrong. When did the stadium deal get done?

Last edited:
I thought it was fanny lee who did this[/QUOTE]

May well have been agreed in principal with Lee but the official agreement didn't happen until after the play off. Bernstein said we wouldn't have gone if we hadn't been promoted.

Last edited:
People were so angry when we went two down that day. I stated to leave and fans were kicking the bins around and literally having tantrums. I remember thinking the rage was frightening but totally understandable. I went back to my seat after hearing the half-hearted, 5 seconds worth of cheers when Horlock scored. Weird noises were being made when Dickov scored. Half wail, half ecstatic, frenzied plot loss. My cousin fell into the next row and later on, couldn't remember how it happened.

But as for how things would have panned out if we''d lost, I always thought that was overblown. City would have made it out of that division the following season anyway. We were a yo-yo club like no other back then. We always made it back eventually. Not sure a year would have changed our destiny. Might be wrong. When did the stadium deal get done?

I remember the noise when Aguero scored and it was like nothing I’d heard
It was more high pitched screaming than cheering

Interesting article in the MUEN. I'd say it's personally for me the second best game I've ever been to after THAT game. I was only 11/12 at the time so probably different experiencing the highs and lows of football for an adult because I don't think I grasped the magnitude of losing that one match.

Bernstein was, for me, our greatest chairman. Current owners and chairmen not included...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ball-news/man-city-wembley-1999-most-9796326?

That's a great article, thanks for sharing. Makes me all fuzzy inside.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.