Wilfried Zaha

It's one of the most important qualities for a winger. If you can't beat your man then what do you offer over the mere presence on the pitch? Players can be taught to pass. They can be taught positional play. It's almost impossible to teach a player how to dribble. How to retain close control of the ball. How to shake off a defender. That's something a player either has or doesn't have and it's what scouts look for in young academy prospects (even down to the age of 8). The rest can be taught.

Zaha is one of the best dribblers in the league. You don't need to watch him for long to see that. He routinely does things that only a handful of players in the league can do. And his end product is no worse than Sane's or Sterling's.

I disagree with that part the most (especially with Sane). Passing is the biggest weakness to Zaha's game.

I disagree with that part the most (especially with Sane). Passing is the biggest weakness to Zaha's game.

You need to take into account the players around him. It's not like he has Silva/KDB/Fernandinho behind him or Sergio/Jesus and Sane/Sterling alongside him. Zaha is expected to create chances through his individual play. That is naturally going to result in him ceding possession more frequently than most. I still wouldn't say that his passing is below respectable, and it most certainly can be improved with a little work (as I said previously). His passes are generally also over a longer distance, which skews the results somewhat. Just think what Sterling would look like playing for Palace... And Sterling has a far higher chance conversion than Sane this season.

pjY83Kg.png

69% pass completion isn't the most convincing statistic for a Pep side. Mahrez (although I am not really convinced either) would be the better bet.

69% pass completion isn't the most convincing statistic for a Pep side.

He's not playing in a Pep side. Do you think Roy cares about his pass completion? He is there to create chances for the team. He is pretty much the only player that they have who can do so, therefore he takes risks that inevitably lead to ceding possession more frequently. It's not difficult to have a high pass completion rate. Just pass sideways and backwards over and over again. That doesn't make a great winger.

He's not playing in a Pep side. Do you think Roy cares about his pass completion? He is there to create chances for the team. He is pretty much the only player that they have who can do so, therefore he takes risks that inevitably lead to ceding possession more frequently. It's not difficult to have a high pass completion rate. Just pass sideways and backwards over and over again. That doesn't make a great winger.

Zaha would stick out like a sore thumb in a Pep side and wouldn't improve that side of his game. Tactically he could but that will take major work

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.