The traditional 'he didn't make it after City, so he was no good' comment.

Good thread Nev. I think the biggest problem we have is that people presume player A is destined to be great one way or another. They think a player is destined to the top and will follow a linear path of progression regardless and reach his potential. It totally doesn't work that way. They're human and they're affected by a vast array of societal and pschological factors just like the rest of us. I'd expect Foden wouldn't have a fucking clue for St Mirren. Does that mean he's shite? Course it doesn't. You can't put some potentially genius level kid into a team with a bunch of cloggers and expect them to blend. This is why we shouldn't be overly critical of loan performances.

People will point to Lopes and Denayer and go 'well they're not world class are they? proof' and miss the point entirely. They were let down largely by us and never given the right chances. DEnayer and Lopes, IMO, would both reach the very top under a coach like Guardiola. They had MP who couldn't give a shit though. Lopes, and fair fucks to him, is making a bit of a fist of it right now and after two/three years of stalling might actually be finding his way back onto that path again towards the top, but Denayer's totally fallen off the rails. I can't help but sometimes feel we've fucked off a potential next Aguero, our own Sane or a new laporte self-built at times because we don't strike while the iron is hot and we also demand a ridiculously unattainable level of performance from a kid, or simply ignore them full stop.

We're sat on a gold mine of talent that could save us hundreds of millions and earn us the same too and all it takes is a little due care and attention. Water them fucking plants. It takes 10 minutes and it could set the club up to be something even more special than it already is.

Just noticed Manu Garcia is getting pretty good reviews for Breda. He was always one who appeared like he could be an amazing player but didn't actually produce it. But very much a Pep style player if he gets his shit together. I don't think he'd be getting rave reviews playing where Jack Byrne is though.

Just noticed Manu Garcia is getting pretty good reviews for Breda. He was always one who appeared like he could be an amazing player but didn't actually produce it. But very much a Pep style player if he gets his shit together. I don't think he'd be getting rave reviews playing where Jack Byrne is though.

I thought Jack Byrne was a tad impatient. He had a great loan season at Cambuur where he was a cult hero, but then jumped at a loan to Blackburn before the transfer window had even opened.

He seemed to be the driving force behind that loan and it was a very poor move. If he'd gone to Girona, or even just an English club that wasn't a complete mess, he'd be playing at least a division higher by now IMO.

He's also one of those players who suits a higher level of football. Put the kind of player who thrives off making lots of quick, short passes along the ground, controlling possession in league 1 and they'll never be able to show off what makes them good. The pitches aren't good enough, the coaches don't play that way, and the teammates don't help either.

I suppose Girona is next for Manu Garcia, or possibly a lower level Premier League club if he can get one.

I thought Jack Byrne was a tad impatient. He had a great loan season at Cambuur where he was a cult hero, but then jumped at a loan to Blackburn before the transfer window had even opened.

He seemed to be the driving force behind that loan and it was a very poor move. If he'd gone to Girona, or even just an English club that wasn't a complete mess, he'd be playing at least a division higher by now IMO.

He's also one of those players who suits a higher level of football. Put the kind of player who thrives off making lots of quick, short passes along the ground, controlling possession in league 1 and they'll never be able to show off what makes them good. The pitches aren't good enough, the coaches don't play that way, and the teammates don't help either.

I suppose Girona is next for Manu Garcia, or possibly a lower level Premier League club if he can get one.
Would he even play for Girona? Midfield seems to be the only position they're really set in.

Yes I think Byrne, like quite a few of the City kids, Garcia being another one, was designed & built to play in a Pep type team. And like Silva, he needs quality players making runs etc in order to shine.
In a shit team, he'll be a shit player, too small & nothing special. His game is all about moving the ball around for others & clever football.

Imo he was a better player in Holland, than Zinchenko & we have seen that Zinchenko is not far off being a decent player in City's team & may be borderline good enough to play midfield.

I was a bit concerned about what might happen to Davenport but Cough is really impressed with him.

heard that there are prominent members of City's academy set up who have passed on signing some young players as they see it as a waste of time as they think they'll never get a chance anyway and they think the club will ruin them....ouch.

this wasn't a reaction to the six subs thing btw, it's an opinion from months ago. that level of defeatism though - that cant be fucking healthy. This view was also shared on the state of other academies too btw. Not just ours

On a side note, what happened to Bobby Duncan? He's listed as unattached on the latest England U17 squad announcement, is there any reason why he hasn't signed for another club yet?

On a side note, what happened to Bobby Duncan? He's listed as unattached on the latest England U17 squad announcement, is there any reason why he hasn't signed for another club yet?

I might be wrong but isn't he Gerrard's cousin and aren't Liverpool banned from signing u18s from other academies until the summer? Putting 2 and 2 together to say he's off to Liverpool but can't sign till June or July.

heard that there are prominent members of City's academy set up who have passed on signing some young players as they see it as a waste of time as they think they'll never get a chance anyway and they think the club will ruin them....ouch.

Isn't that like, exactly their job?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.