Julian Weigl

One of those baseless sayings that seems to stand the test of time.
It's not baseless mate, interceptions are better than tackles and a holding midfielders main job is to slow players down until the support can get back. Blocking passing lanes gives you both, it's why positioning is more important than your ability to slide on your arse.

Surprised we haven`t been linked with Diawara yet. Would fit very well into this team. I saw someone saying that he`s a mix of Weigl and Wanyama, and that`s pretty accurate

It's not baseless mate, interceptions are better than tackles and a holding midfielders main job is to slow players down until the support can get back. Blocking passing lanes gives you both, it's why positioning is more important than your ability to slide on your arse.

Kompany himself has said this on several occasions. If you position right you needn't run to recover nor jump to win headers.

Despite Fred looking done can still see us going for Wiegl. Pep loves a midfielder and we could set up with 2 of Fern, Fred and Wiegl.

Let him grow as a player and have him on rotation with Fred, in 2020, when Fernandinho (35) leaves the club.

But Busquets is a good defender, Weigl is not
IMO the main difference between Busi and Weigl is that the former had the luxury of being coached by Pep for 5 consecutive seasons. Very similar players. Weigl would be much more effective in big games that the likes of Dinho, passing under heavy pressure is his best trait (remember watching him for the 1st time vs Pep's Bayern, his calmness was shocking for a 18-yr old. Pep looked shocked on the presser as well: "our scouts didn't tell me about this player!").
The only problem that I see with Weigl is his price and the headache of dealing with Watzke.

On the other hand, I have a soft spot for all-arounders like Rijkaard and hope Guardiola will discover someone of that ilk.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.