Ilkay Gundogan - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, not so much a slight on him but that Silva brings so much to the team.

The main thing Silva brings is control.

It was a fun game last night, but we were quite open and was end to end at times. With Silva on that kind of game just doesn't seem to happen, we don't play those end to end games because once we get the ball, we keep it.

Marti Perarnau said on @BillyShears podcast at the end of November that Gundogan needed 20 more games to be at his best.

He's now played 17 games since then.

Perfect setup for Gündogan vs Basel when he has enough time to play his technical game without fearing to be kicked about by a flying PL midfielder.
Btw, never seen him that furious, after the quite soft foul by Serey Die... The team reaction seemed to be planned as well. IMO.

Discussing Can back then I said maybe it would be better to replace Gündogan, as I was always sceptical about his injuries.
Since then he has improved and is quite close to the player he was at his highs in Dortmund.

He said in an interview he will not and can not be the player he once was, keeping in mind the influence of the injuries on his body.
But his outstanding technical skills and goal threats are simply in him and now he is back on a level of confidence where he feels free and happy to play the game he is so good at.
Nearly won any 1-on-1 last night, too.
Gündogans role is still higher up the pitch and finally on a different level than the hard working, less skilled defensive mid Can.

Like in other squad positions the timing is incredibly perfect to step up when it's needed. Happy days!

Perfect setup for Gündogan vs Basel when he has enough time to play his technical game without fearing to be kicked about by a flying PL midfielder.
Btw, never seen him that furious, after the quite soft foul by Serey Die... The team reaction seemed to be planned as well. IMO.

Discussing Can back then I said maybe it would be better to replace Gündogan, as I was always sceptical about his injuries.
Since then he has improved and is quite close to the player he was at his highs in Dortmund.

He said in an interview he will not and can not be the player he once was, keeping in mind the influence of the injuries on his body.
But his outstanding technical skills and goal threats are simply in him and now he is back on a level of confidence where he feels free and happy to play the game he is so good at.
Gündogans role is still higher up the pitch and finally on a different level than the hard working, less skilled defensive mid Can.

Like in other squad positions the timing is incredibly perfect to step up when it's needed. Happy days!
A one legged Gundogan is still better than Emre Can on his best day. It’s not even close really. Injury or no injury.

Does he get dropped with Silva coming back? Would seem really harsh considering how well he is playing. A good problem to have.
Horses for courses Ilkay offers a more direct threat on goal as well as being great in taking the ball in tight spaces. Merin is maybe slightly less of a threat on goal but equally if not better at taking the ball in tight space but Merlin's passing range and vision is sublime even better than KDB at times. But what a luxury to have with these 2 players.

Getting better week by week. Starting to show he belongs here.

Gundogan when he’s in top form is a world class player, one of the best midfielders in the world. Emre Can is just a solid player. The two can’t even be compared.

I’ve always believed in Gundogan. He gets criticised for not being able to replicate what Silva brings to the team, I think that’s case anyway. I’d say nobody in world football could do that. Gundogan offers his own values to the team, completely different player to Silva.

He will never be Silva or De Bruyne, but he is still a top class player and a better goal threat than D. Silva.

Not many teams if any have a player of Gundogan’s quality being able to rotate with the likes of Silva and De Bruyne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.