Wigan FA Cup post-match thread

6 changes, hardly got into our rhythm, the bumpy pitch only affected City, Sane should not play again until he is back to his pre-injury fitness level. Saying wigan wanted it more is to defy logic, when ten men out-perform eleven (which we plainly did) then the result was not down to lack of effort. Wigan got lucky, I dont think they deserve any more credit than that. Uncle Fester was close to a full-on break-down but nothing will come of it, as City fans have seen so often. Sour grapes? Damn right, the ref fucked us over tonight.

Quite the opposite. I think it's sad some of our fans can't accept that a small club, you know, like we were for so long, would celebrate a big win over a better team with so much gusto. We've done it.

They've played to their strengths, beat us with a sucker punch, we've been below average and yet a lot of our fans are upset because their fans celebrated.

Thought we were better than that

Maybe its because City fans on the pitch get put before the courts and maybe its because one of them tonight has had a go at Kun?

That idiot doesn't do that and i dont see many having an issue but if fans go on the pitch and goad away fans there will always be trouble and that goes for any ground.

All this small club talk and you banging on about the rags etc is just strange im afraid?

Let’s be honest. We’ve pushed our luck in the domestic cups this season by not playing what most would regard as a full-strength team from those available. This time we pushed it too far. Sterling & Otamendi should have been in the squad and probably the starting team. KDB should also have started, we should have got the game won then we could have rotated and relaxed. We’ve got 6 days before Arsenal so no need to rest players in my view.

We said it last time we fucked up against Wigan. We said it for the League Cup game v the rags. Play your strongest team.

Nothing wrong with the starting lineup. It was a strong side that had more than enough to beat a league 1 side.

I didn't agree with Sane coming off as he was the only guy on the pitch with pace and we've struggled in games without him and Sterling but I understand Peps decision. He's just coming back from injury, he was never going to last 90 and would have had to come off a some point which would have meant zero options on the bench later on other than a 17 year old so it made sense in trusting those players on the pitch.

Similarly with Silva, he wasn't going to last 90 and then be 100% for the weekend. The issue was lack of options which stems back to not bringing in somebody in January.

As for Bravo, I guess some people just hate him for no reason, the guy didn't do anything wrong. To save that goal would have taken something unbelievable, if you're going to shit on him for not making a world class save then you may as well shit on KDB for not scoring from his own half with every touch he had once he came on.
Nothing wrong with the starting lineup. It was a strong side that had more than enough to beat a league 1 side.

I didn't agree with Sane coming off as he was the only guy on the pitch with pace and we've struggled in games without him and Sterling but I understand Peps decision. He's just coming back from injury, he was never going to last 90 and would have had to come off a some point which would have meant zero options on the bench later on other than a 17 year old so it made sense in trusting those players on the pitch.

Similarly with Silva, he wasn't going to last 90 and then be 100% for the weekend. The issue was lack of options which stems back to not bringing in somebody in January.

As for Bravo, I guess some people just hate him for no reason, the guy didn't do anything wrong. To save that goal would have taken something unbelievable, if you're going to shit on him for not making a world class save then you may as well shit on KDB for not scoring from his own half with every touch he had once he came on.
I agree - Bravo's problems were a long time ago. Although he's not in the Ederson class, he does keep the ball circulating - his passing is exceptional. Could not be blamed for the goal.

And, lastly, to all those people lauding the way Wigan played....well, what can one say when they win, but seriously???? 17% possession, long ball to lone striker, 10 behind the ball??? If this is what passes for “well played” today, football is hurting. But they grabbed their goal against Goliath, so they are David!

And, happily, we are fortunate and blessed enough to be watching, game in, game out, football as far removed as it’s possible to be from the football you describe here. But how did you expect Wigan to play? No, it’s not pretty or easy on the eye or entertaining but, alas for us, it got a job done and they, not us, are now in the Quarters with a home tie against Southampton. Credit, albeit grudging, where credit’s due. If not ‘well played’, then at least ‘effectively played’. Let’s try to be big about it!
Played to their strengths mate. Eez a football.

Quite the opposite. I think it's sad some of our fans can't accept that a small club, you know, like we were for so long, would celebrate a big win over a better team with so much gusto. We've done it.
Maybe so but it's a bit soon to be throwing our own under a bus. Especially as we weren't there.

we can't win every game. we have to put things into perspective. going for 4 trophies is near enough impossible. this season we have been brilliant, so there isn't really much to moan about

On
Against big packed defences like that we need another option, a powerful forward who can unsettle the defenders and make some space, plus provide an aerial threat. Pep will never sign one but you felt we could have played all night and not scored and so it proved.

Delph s challenge was stupid with seconds to go to half time but not a red for me. Why did rag Taylor start to write up the yellow then pull out the red?

From what I can see of the Aguero incident the fan throws a punch at him and Aguero goes after him which is understandable. Once their fan's piled on we should have got off the pitch as quickly as possible and their stewards or police should have been looking out for the player's safety.

Wigan were cynical and defended well and got lucky, shit happens. Stones needs to get rid when a player is harassing him for the ball.because he is too weak and easily outfought. At eighty minutes and dominating the game no way should one forward on his own be able to score from there, we keep him contained and take the draw.

I said on an earlier post it had that feeling about it from about ten minutes in, sometimes you just feel it, like an awful sixth sense and the longer the game went the stronger the feeling grew.

I hate Wigan and their shitty fan's. I can't believe I was pleased for them when they won the FA cup they are horrible bastards. Southampton will probably turn up here and roll them over about 3-0, here's hoping!

Once Sane went off we lost the ability to go bast the full back - we worked Walker in a few times but his final ball was shocking. Bernardo had loads of opportunity but wouldn’t take his man on. That sort of defence needed to be turned around. We played in front of them and made it easier for them.

reading this it's like some fans have been waiting for us to do something wrong so they can moan.

We were down to 10 and in the second half battered the ****s, we made one mistake and they won it.

Shit happens we played well, not the end of the world, time to get ready for a cup final.

Also can we start singing this again now?

^^^^^

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.