City v Liverpool UYL QF - 1pm, Wed 14th March

I'm certain that part of the training on this side of the bridge involves 'pantomime artistry'! We'd barely got going and I swear Danny Grims was wearing a pair of clogs! First touch was terrible, he recovered in time, and then proceeded to blast the ball onto the incoming Inter forward and into our net. We concede one every game, at every level. Hope it's not the Women's turn come Saturday.

After 75mins Inter were looking for the penalty shootout option. Five at the back, which was the norm for most of the game and, in similar manner to the First Team, our kids made and squandered good chances. But those Italians know how to defend!

And the penalty shootout? I have never seen such a collection of shambolic attempts at taking a penalty. It was not who would score but who's the one who isn't gonna miss!

I thought their goalie had an outstanding game but MotM, beyond a doubt, was the ref. Don't know where he's from but he was on top of the game for the 90mins. Total control, and it wasn't a pussy-footing kind of game either. Some tasty tackles going in! I just wonder why, when there is this quality within the refereeing fraternity, we end up with the likes of Madeley, Mason, and Taylor. Do these people buy an indenture with PiGMOl? And is it a case of sizeable bank account rather than competence, understanding of the Laws of the Game and the clearest attempt to apply them fairly?

Most of my disappointment with last night has been assuaged with those performance tonight - City kids, the inter kIds and the ref. Football as it should be - except for the shambles with the penalties.

This may be an unpopular opinion but I watched the second half and penalties and thought the kids from the first team looked compeltely disinterested. Brahim especially seemed very "economical" with his running, and seemed far less keen to get on the ball than he used to last season and the season before. Lukas Nmecha and Foden were coming back from injuries so perhaps have an excuse but I thought both looked a bit...passive, like they were going through the motions. At the very end, Lukas and Brahim started showing some urgency but only in little glimpses compared to what we used to see from them at this level. They were night and day to the likes of Bolton, Matondo, Smith and Nmecha jr. when he came on.

I was thinking that before the penalties, and then all 3 put in some shockingly casual attempts which all missed.

It's understandable that after making first team and champions league debuts, training every day with Pep & co. that being shunted back down to the EDS with Davies is underwhelming, and the stakes of winning a Youth League game no longer seem all that big, but if they aren't 100% up for it then it'd be better for everyone if they sat it out.

This may be an unpopular opinion but I watched the second half and penalties and thought the kids from the first team looked compeltely disinterested. Brahim especially seemed very "economical" with his running, and seemed far less keen to get on the ball than he used to last season and the season before. Lukas Nmecha and Foden were coming back from injuries so perhaps have an excuse but I thought both looked a bit...passive, like they were going through the motions. At the very end, Lukas and Brahim started showing some urgency but only in little glimpses compared to what we used to see from them at this level. They were night and day to the likes of Bolton, Matondo, Smith and Nmecha jr. when he came on.

I was thinking that before the penalties, and then all 3 put in some shockingly casual attempts which all missed.

It's understandable that after making first team and champions league debuts, training every day with Pep & co. that being shunted back down to the EDS with Davies is underwhelming, and the stakes of winning a Youth League game no longer seem all that big, but if they aren't 100% up for it then it'd be better for everyone if they sat it out.
I agree.It was a piss poor game with very little conviction or desire to win.

Diaz and Foden,both who are now first team squad members,should have taken that game by the scruff of the neck and inspired their teammates to a convincing display.The entire team just appeared to be going through the motions and the penalty efforts were a disgrace.

I think Davies is responsible for much of the spirit within the camp,he hardly portrays enthusiasm,wisdom or confidence.

I agree.It was a piss poor game with very little conviction or desire to win.

Diaz and Foden,both who are now first team squad members,should have taken that game by the scruff of the neck and inspired their teammates to a convincing display.The entire team just appeared to be going through the motions and the penalty efforts were a disgrace.

I think Davies is responsible for much of the spirit within the camp,he hardly portrays enthusiasm,wisdom or confidence.

Yeah I though particularly as Inter looked like a big side, Foden and Brahim with their experience in the first team environment and senior football would shine above their teammates because they're used to - or getting used to - playing against fully developed adult players.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.