Julian Weigl

Nope, we want both. Fred has other facets to his game which Pep also wants to use higher up when needed.
That's fine, but who goes ? assuming we also bring in a wide attacker. Toure obviously goes maybe Zinchenko but there is talk of him extending.Only way I could see it working was if Gundogon was sold.

This is the Premier League exceptionalism argument slightly modified. "Yeah but can he do it in England??!?!?!?!", etc. It's a crap argument, football is football is football.

Premier League exceptionalism? No, I think he couldn't do it in Germany on his own, nor did Thomas Tuchel or Peter Bosz, or Peter Stoger, as they've all decided he should play in a midfield 2 with a more defensive partner.
He's already a better player than Fern, if not quite as versatile.

This is the Premier League exceptionalism argument slightly modified. "Yeah but can he do it in England??!?!?!?!", etc. It's a crap argument, football is football is football.

Would you turn down a 25 year old Busquets due to his lack of mobility?

You may feel that you're looking at both, but I'm looking at the important one. You don't need mobility to defend if your brain is good enough. And his seems to be.

I know dismissing people who disagree with you as xenophobic premier league centric Paul Merson types is your MO but repeating it doesn't make it so.

If you watched him play under Bosz who moved him 5 yards further up the pitch - but still deeper than Fernandinho plays for us - you'd have seen he was absolutely awful, a shadow of the player from 18 months ago and caught out for pace plenty of times in Germany. The concerns have nothing to do with the league he plays in.

You think reading of the game trumps all. I know it didn't when he played under Bosz so I'm sceptical.

I'm not ruling out that he could come to us or any other premier league club and be successful, but I have my doubts about him replacing Fernandinho like-for-like that won't be resolved until he is put on his own at the base of midfield for more than 1 or 2 games against canon fodder and demonstrates the ability to defend running towards his own goal like Fernandinho ends up doing so often.

Pep has told people behind the scenes that he firmly believes he will be David Silva's long-term successor.

Yeah but Silva isn't going anywhere next season so why would Bernardo move central then?

Gundogan is preferred to him centrally at present as well so it seems likely Bernardo will be playing wide right (where hes played his entire career up to now) for the foreseeable.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.