Our Defence

Our defence can be got at, it is plain to see. Don't let the stats fool you. If you consider the possession we have each game then we shouldn't be conceding a lot of goals. What has been the major difference is we have a goalkeeper who can dig us out the shit to worst case scenario.
but we don't concede a lot of goals. Hardly any in fact. Your second point is bollocks too. Ederson has the fewest saves in the premier league.

Absolutely, Our defenders aren't solid standard defenders, they shouldn't be either because of the way we play football. We don't have a solid centre back pairing, we make daft mistakes at the back. It isn't a bad thing either we just aren't as solid as the stats suggest for me, pretty misleading. When you get the champions playing as they did twice against us then we shouldn't be conceding chances/goals.

I don't agree at all. Our defenders as individuals aren't any more error prone than your next top level defender, Stones maybe but that's it.

We don't have a rock solid defence do we? We have a good defence but most of our defenders have a mistake in them, we are successful because of how we play football, retain the ball and attack, not because of our defence.

That's because we have the ball 3/4 of the game, not because we are a solid unit.
I agree Tom, we're good, but the defence are rarely tested, and we are the cause of most of the goals we concede, as I'm sure Pep would agree.

You're right, that with the amount of ball we have, we really shouldn't be conceding many, and we're not.

remind me, how are the 'golden gloves' awarded. Is it for clean sheets? Eddie still in with a good chance then.
Clean sheets.

Current 'Golden Gloves' Table:
Courtois (Chelsea) 15
De Gea (United) 15
Crazy Eddie (City) 13

Last edited:
I don't agree at all. Our defenders as individuals aren't any more error prone than your next top level defender, Stones maybe but that's it.

Otamendi isn't error prone? I know you leap to the defence of any slight criticism of our squad but fuck me come on. He is a walking yellow card. He has been fantastic along with the rest of the squad but if you think we are solid then that's worrying.

but we don't concede a lot of goals. Hardly any in fact. Your second point is bollocks too. Ederson has the fewest saves in the premier league.

Are you ok? If you have the ball for the majority of the game you have less chance of conceding, is that correct? We absolutely dominate possession which limits the opposition to how often they can create chances. I'm in no way saying we are weak at the back but we can certainly be got at. Again Ederson will have faced the fewest shots because we have the fucking ball for most of the game but luckily for us as our last line of defence we can rely on him too.

Otamendi isn't error prone? I know you leap to the defence of any slight criticism of our squad but fuck me come on. He is a walking yellow card. He has been fantastic along with the rest of the squad but if you think we are solid then that's worrying.

Are you ok? If you have the ball for the majority of the game you have less chance of conceding, is that correct? We absolutely dominate possession which limits the opposition to how often they can create chances. I'm in no way saying we are weak at the back but we can certainly be got at. Again Ederson will have faced the fewest shots because we have the fucking ball for most of the game but luckily for us as our last line of defence we can rely on him too.

Where have I said we are solid. My point is that our defenders will look more error prone because of our high line, when an error is made we are exposed as opposed to a team with a defensive mindset when errors are made they're bailed out by the tactics providing cover for them.

Apologies for questioning your opinion btw.

We have the best defence in the league , because we defend from the front and as a team , every defence in the world can be "got at" at some stage of a football match , its f*cking ridiculous to think any team can go through a match and not concede a shot or a chance. Our last line of defence is not perfect but its better than any other team in the Premier league , the goal against column is usually the dead give away , i wouldnt swap Walker , Otto , Vinny for any other defenders in the UK , Laporte is too early to judge and unfortunately Stones has returned from injury showing his 2016/17 season form , as for left back Delph has done Ok but when Mendy returns we will also have the best left back in the country. Our defence isnt shite and anyone inferring this are talking absolute bollocks

We don't have a rock solid defence do we? We have a good defence but most of our defenders have a mistake in them, we are successful because of how we play football, retain the ball and attack, not because of our defence.

That's because we have the ball 3/4 of the game, not because we are a solid unit.

Our defenders are incredibly solid.

How we play football is why we are very good defensively. Isolating our defenders is part of our defensive strategy or rather our offensive defensive strategy. We more than any other team rely on individual defending.
Yet still have the best defence.

How solid do you think we'd be if we changed tactic? If Ederson just played the percentages? If Walker & Mendy tucked right in and Otamendi & Kompany sat deep with Delph & Fernandinho sat in front?

We'd look as solid as any team ever.

We've conceded very few from set pieces which shows just how tactically aware and defensively strong our defenders are. Especially when you consider most of our team are not big.

Every single team in the history of football 'can be got at'.
Chelsea's 04-05 side have the best defence I can remember. They conceded 15 all season but only scored 72.
They played a tight back four with Makalele & Thaigo in front of Terry & Carvelho, who rarely left the edge of their box. Gallas & Ferrera tucked right in. They had 5 defensive midfielders in that squad.

At current rates, we conced 2 in 3 games, so we'd expect to concede 26 all season.
That is exceptional especially when you consider how attacking we are from keeper to striker.

My bet, we'll be closer to 20 next season. We've played most of the season with just 2 centre backs and no first choice left back, bedding in a young new keeper and tactics totally alien to our league.

Last edited:
Our defence can be got at, it is plain to see. Don't let the stats fool you. If you consider the possession we have each game then we shouldn't be conceding a lot of goals. What has been the major difference is we have a goalkeeper who can dig us out the shit to worst case scenario.

We've conceded 20 goals all season in the league which isn't a lot. There's more to defending than just throwing your body in the way or winning tackles, keeping the ball in defensive areas and passing between the lines are as important in the system we play, also closing down angles and space is what we do just as well as anyone. As for Eddy he's hardly made any saves all season, 49 i think was posted earlier, less than 2 a game.

Our defence and keeper are 'solid' just in a different way to what anyone has ever seen before.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.