Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

As a boy from a rugby league town I'd love it if City applied for a Super League Franchise. I've even got a name for them Manchester Sharks!!
https://www.manchesterrangers.co.uk/

“Manchester Rangers RLFC has aspirations of becoming THE professional club in Manchester!

We have secured an inspirational home in Manchester Regional Arena, part of the Etihad Campus, we have a fantastic board of directors and are in the process of building a strong and sustainable Rugby League community in the City.

Over the coming months and years, we will demonstrate that Rugby League NEEDS its own professional club in this great City.Not only does Manchester boast an impressive population of over 514,000, it is a City with a global reputation as one of the world’s leading cities for sport.”

Just a question, for anyone ITK or just your opinion.

With it looking like Etihad campus will become a hub for even more sports over the coming years, like Rugby League, Basketball etc. Do you think we will go down the route of "Manchester City" teams playing other sports as clubs like Barca do?

It seems to work in Europe but hasn't this been tried already in this country and failed?

Just thinking out loud really. I'm not sure how much I'd be behind a "Manchester City Basketball Club", I'd probably be quite apathetic, but maybe it fits in with CFG plans to enhance the City "brand" and create "Cities" all over the world?

https://www.manchesterrangers.co.uk/

“Manchester Rangers RLFC has aspirations of becoming THE professional club in Manchester!

We have secured an inspirational home in Manchester Regional Arena, part of the Etihad Campus, we have a fantastic board of directors and are in the process of building a strong and sustainable Rugby League community in the City.

Over the coming months and years, we will demonstrate that Rugby League NEEDS its own professional club in this great City.Not only does Manchester boast an impressive population of over 514,000, it is a City with a global reputation as one of the world’s leading cities for sport.”

Brilliant but still think they need a name change. Warrington WOLVES, Leeds RHINO's, Bradford BULLS.. Manchester SHARKS>>> Shark team.. Mendy would love them.

With it looking like Etihad campus will become a hub for even more sports over the coming years, like Rugby League, Basketball etc. Do you think we will go down the route of "Manchester City" teams playing other sports as clubs like Barca do?

It seems to work in Europe but hasn't this been tried already in this country and failed?

Just thinking out loud really. I'm not sure how much I'd be behind a "Manchester City Basketball Club", I'd probably be quite apathetic, but maybe it fits in with CFG plans to enhance the City "brand" and create "Cities" all over the world?
I’d be more likely to get behind anything to do with Manchester than places I couldn’t give two shits about like New York, Melbourne, Yokohama, Girona etc.

They don’t even have to be “Manchester City”. I’d support Manchester Rangers RL over New York City FC any day of the week.

Brilliant but still think they need a name change. Warrington WOLVES, Leeds RHINO's, Bradford BULLS.. Manchester SHARKS>>> Shark team.. Mendy would love them.
What about Sale Sharks in the other code though?

Plus Rangers is an older sporting name in this conurbation than City or United (or Ardwick, Gorton, St Marks or Newton Heath for that matter). Back as Broughton Rangers (founded 1877) they won the Championship (top division league) once and the Challenge Cup twice. That was more major trophies than St Helens had managed by he time the then Belle Vue Rangers folded in 1955.

The Rags had a basketball team in the 1980s. My cousin was a Utd fan and I used to go with him to matches sometimes. I was at a Utd vs Bournemouth Cup game (1985) when they paraded the basketball team on the pitch before the game started.

The football game that followed was so boring the crowd started chanting for the basketball team to come back...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Eagles#Manchester_United

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.