Gangs Of Young Football Fans

As well as being priced out the other difference is from 14 up we never went with our parents. From 16 up I was going to London and everywhere on a coach or special with friends.
Now every teen going To a game is virtually still doing so with their parents and sat next to them hence the lack of gangs

As well as being priced out the other difference is from 14 up we never went with our parents. From 16 up I was going to London and everywhere on a coach or special with friends.
Now every teen going To a game is virtually still doing so with their parents and sat next to them hence the lack of gangs

Fair point that, my old man took me a few times up until I was about 13/14, then it was on the 92 to Longsight and the 53, eventually sacked off the 53 in favour of walking and chancing our arm getting a pint at the Birch Villas.

Saw some photos of young City fans from the 70s yesterday and was thinking it something you dont see any more .
Remember bus fulls of young Blues used to go from Middleton, Blackley ,Prestwich ,Whthenshawe ect home and away .In the pubs and on football specials fans ages were on average 14 year old to 23 year old .Away ends were full of youngsters as was the Kippax .The average age of the fans were the same at grounds up and down the country .
Watched the protests at West Ham yesterday and hardly any youngsters were to be seen .suppose it the sign of the times and maybe going to football games in all weathers doesnt apeall to the youngsters of today in the numbers it used to.Maybe thats another reason why atmospheres at grounds arent what they used to be.
Especially at City with Loyalty Points where they’d only catch up for big away games if they started at 0 today in about 250 years, fewer tickets available because of corporates, fewer tickets available in away ends compared to the ‘70s, the huge price in tickets for young adults at Prem grounds when they can go round a mate’s whose Father has the full sport package subscription and watch for free, games rarely at 15:00 on a Saturday.

Non-league is cheap, you’d see more there but when you ask them who they support, it isn’t Alty despite going to every home game, it’s City or United but they can’t afford it.

theyve all been completely priced out. I'm young and barely know anyone that actually goes to watch live football, most of my mates/people i know just watch it at home. football will be screwed in about 10/15 years time as younger people arent replacing the older fans.

Last edited:
I was 12 when I started doing that (mid 60s), it's harder for kids to do that now with this nonsense about U-14s having to be accompanied by an adult, to some extent the choice has been taken out of their hands.
Strange too that in the times of hooliganism my parents had no issues with me as a 16 year old going off to Liverpool and London and elsewhere in the late 70's and throughout the 80's.
Would I let my 16 year old go off with his mates today (if I had one lol)

Its not just the young that are priced out....

Its perhaps the main reason I dont go anymore. Not just the cost which Is way to much but the fact that for me I supported City a big part of it is being there every week, and away as much as possible. I would probably do half the away games each season. It was possible to get tickets for United away or Spurs in the Cup final even though you just paid cash to get on the Kippax most weeks.

Now to follow City home and away would cost too much for most and certainly the younger end, ridiculous to think it would be cheaper to go away in Europe than a trip to Chelsea or Arsenal.

There is much to enjoy even as an arm chair fan now, fantastic team, Manager, and owners....the scum well and truly schooled , and you cannot help but be impressed by the whole stadium set up and lets be honest we actually know we are going to see City winning trophies on a regular basis for sometime to come. When Spurs beat us we were'nt that confident of winning anything in our lifetime and I was 16 then! I went to every round in that cup run including Peterborough away and both finals, It would be almost impossible for a fan to do that now unless you were well heeled and with the appropriate season ticket.

I dont know how other old twats feel but all the great stuff that has now come to Manchester City whilst is a huge compensation, I cant even look at the score of 6-1 without laughing my bollocks off, and I expect City to win the Champions League sooner rather than later. However it is'nt as good, I will always be blue always enjoy our wins but the real City in my eyes went years ago....but that is because top level football was taken from the real core supporters and given to the middle classes most of whom are happy with a day out to get the premier league experience.

The only grounds where you get even close to an atmosphere now are Liverpool, Stoke and Newcastle if the latter two are in the right mood for it. Other than that its dreadful, similar type of audience at the 100s of airshows I have attended, same kind of people same kind of breakdown. Many have come to see the Red Arrows/Sergio Aguero on there once yearly visit many of those know fuck all about all the other aircraft/players or for whom they operate...lots of people happy to pay through the nose buy a half and half scarf. How are youngsters going to get in? How are you ever going to generate an atmosphere with a stadium mostly populated by tourists and middle class twerps?

The truth is sadly that you will get a much better atmosphere watching a match in a pub than in the ground mostly.

Its not just the young that are priced out....

Its perhaps the main reason I dont go anymore. Not just the cost which Is way to much but the fact that for me I supported City a big part of it is being there every week, and away as much as possible. I would probably do half the away games each season. It was possible to get tickets for United away or Spurs in the Cup final even though you just paid cash to get on the Kippax most weeks.

Now to follow City home and away would cost too much for most and certainly the younger end, ridiculous to think it would be cheaper to go away in Europe than a trip to Chelsea or Arsenal.

There is much to enjoy even as an arm chair fan now, fantastic team, Manager, and owners....the scum well and truly schooled , and you cannot help but be impressed by the whole stadium set up and lets be honest we actually know we are going to see City winning trophies on a regular basis for sometime to come. When Spurs beat us we were'nt that confident of winning anything in our lifetime and I was 16 then! I went to every round in that cup run including Peterborough away and both finals, It would be almost impossible for a fan to do that now unless you were well heeled and with the appropriate season ticket.

I dont know how other old twats feel but all the great stuff that has now come to Manchester City whilst is a huge compensation, I cant even look at the score of 6-1 without laughing my bollocks off, and I expect City to win the Champions League sooner rather than later. However it is'nt as good, I will always be blue always enjoy our wins but the real City in my eyes went years ago....but that is because top level football was taken from the real core supporters and given to the middle classes most of whom are happy with a day out to get the premier league experience.

The only grounds where you get even close to an atmosphere now are Liverpool, Stoke and Newcastle if the latter two are in the right mood for it. Other than that its dreadful, similar type of audience at the 100s of airshows I have attended, same kind of people same kind of breakdown. Many have come to see the Red Arrows/Sergio Aguero on there once yearly visit many of those know fuck all about all the other aircraft/players or for whom they operate...lots of people happy to pay through the nose buy a half and half scarf. How are youngsters going to get in? How are you ever going to generate an atmosphere with a stadium mostly populated by tourists and middle class twerps?

The truth is sadly that you will get a much better atmosphere watching a match in a pub than in the ground mostly.

Arm, you don't go anymore and you know where the good atmosheres are. Well done.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.