RIP Ken Dodd

I'd heard it was a pilot's licence.
I'll bet he's now proving the theory that you really CAN'T take it with you. Death and Taxes, eh? Got away with one, but not the other.
Yeah, you could be right, never heard it myself, but did anecdotally, and the taxman is rarely denied, as his estate will soon learn.

When I was a kid my mother worked at Manchester Opera House, and school holidays she used to take me into work with her. Met James Bolam,Jack Palance,Doris Day and many other notables. Doddy did a Christmas show every year and became a family friend, visiting the house regularly. One show he was doing was a sketch called "Z-Bikes", like Z-Cars on two wheels, and I sold him my pushbike. He gave me a fiver and the brand-new Beano and Dandy albums, and I saw my bike on his t.v. show later on.
Great bloke, humble and funny, ordinary guy with a weird genius. RIP Kenneth.

My dads favourite was old Doddy. He was a very funny guy and will always be remembered for his gags and long long shows, but the guy could sing too. Do you know 2 of his songs in 1965 outsold anything by rock god's The Kinks, The Stones or The Beatles, and Tears was the biggest selling song of that year. RIP Doddy, a ridiculously funny and talented man.

P.S Only Tears outsold those bands above,not two. Still some going though when you consider who was in the charts that year.

Last edited:
My dads favourite was old Doddy. He was a very funny guy and will always be remembered for his gags and long long shows, but the guy could sing too. Do you know 2 of his songs in 1965 outsold anything by rock god's The Kinks, The Stones or The Beatles, and Tears was the biggest selling song of that year. RIP Doddy, a ridiculously funny and talented man.

P.S Only Tears outsold those bands above,not two. Still some going though when you consider who was in the charts that year.
I mentioned earlier that Tears was the 3rd best selling single of the sixties. It was mentioned on the BBC this morning. Just been to check, and it is indeed, true. Remarkable, although Two Little Boys is number 19, so, you know ...

got married to his childhood sweetheart in a private ceremony at home on friday. was a great comedian and his shows went on for hours and hours

One of the all time greats and up until his illness and death he was still working, R.I.P Doddy.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.