Who Will Pose A Threat Next Season

Far too much still to happen, Chelsea and Arsenal may be looking for new managers, all five of them will make multiple signings this summer, and there's always the possibility that any combination of Hazard, Kane, Salah, Alderweireld, Kante, Can, De Gea, etc. leave this summer, but I'll take a stab at it anyways.

1. City
2. Liverpool
3. United
4. Chelsea
5. Spurs
6. Arsenal

I think we’ll be much stronger next year. Left back issue will be fixed. More cover for Fern. New arrivals from this year will be even better with a year under their belt. Opposition managers will have as plan for us but I think Pep will develop it to another stage next year - 3 at the back? Players like Sterling and Sane should get more consistent as they get older. I think if anything the gap will open even more and then the bitching will commence.

The threats will come from the same top 6 as there is now. As they will all strengthen their squads. It will be a question of who strengthens their squad better. as to who will pose the biggest threat to us.

I always think a look at the respective benches gives an indication of realistic strength and depth. It particularly struck me when watching lasts season's CL final.While there are always injuries, it can give an idea of where teams are in their development and their likelihood of sustaining a prolonged challenge. Below are the benches from the weekend for that lot, Liverpool, and Us. Irrespective of how much others spend in the summer, when I compare them I feel quietly confident about next season.

That Lot
  • Lindelöf
  • Lingard
  • Carrick
  • Romero
  • Shaw
  • Fellaini
  • Darmian
Liverpool
  • Wijnaldum
  • Gomez
  • Henderson
  • Lallana
  • Mignolet
  • Solanke
  • Matip
Us
  • Bravo
  • Danilo
  • Stones
  • Gündogan
  • Laporte
  • Bernardo Silva
  • Touré

True. Our bench is very strong compared to others.

I do think well win it again next season but it will be closer than this one for sure. Its a toss up for me between Liverpool and the bus parkers.

Liverpool:
-Can is major loss for them considering he starts almost every game and will leave on a free.
-Keita is great purchase for them.
-Still need a CM/DM to replace Can, a Coutinho replacement, Right back, CB, and Keeper, Alisson would make them very very strong, hopefully they sign Butland instead.
-Can they keep Salah? Growing interest from Real.
-Will they spend the 200m+ that is required? Unlikely.

United:
-Have really overachieved this season.
-Fullbacks are Valencia and Young both 32 years old.
-Currently only have one good CB and thats Bailly
-Fellaini, one of the gouger's favorites looks to be leaving on a free.
-Don't see them buying attackers so that means hundreds of millions will be spent on midfielders and defense so are bound to improve.
-Likely to be stuck with Lukaku, Pogba, Sanchez which is great for everyone else.

Arsenal and Spurs will battle it out for 5th place with Chelsea likely scrapping 4th.

True. Our bench is very strong compared to others.

I do think well win it again next season but it will be closer than this one for sure. Its a toss up for me between Liverpool and the bus parkers.

Liverpool:
-Can is major loss for them considering he starts almost every game and will leave on a free.
-Keita is great purchase for them.
-Still need a CM/DM to replace Can, a Coutinho replacement, Right back, CB, and Keeper, Alisson would make them very very strong, hopefully they sign Butland instead.
-Can they keep Salah? Growing interest from Real.
-Will they spend the 200m+ that is required? Unlikely.

United:
-Have really overachieved this season.
-Fullbacks are Valencia and Young both 32 years old.
-Currently only have one good CB and thats Bailly
-Fellaini, one of the gouger's favorites looks to be leaving on a free.
-Don't see them buying attackers so that means hundreds of millions will be spent on midfielders and defense so are bound to improve.
-Likely to be stuck with Lukaku, Pogba, Sanchez which is great for everyone else.

Arsenal and Spurs will battle it out for 5th place with Chelsea likely scrapping 4th.

Thing is, when I look at that lot and Liverpool, I see them having to spend considerable sums to buy first-team players, not simply adding to their quality in depth, which means that when the injuries and suspensions materialise, they are still found wanting. Similarly, matches are generally won in the midfield, and the team with greater creativity will invariably win more games. That lot won at the weekend by by-passing the midfield entirely, and Liverpool couldn't respond due to the absence of quality in that area. Unless both start adding world class midfield creativity, they will continue to fall short.

Gary Chuckle made a good point last night when he said we have “great players in a great team” or something along those lines. The others (rags, dippers, rent boys and spuds) may have some great players but they’re not great teams, it doesn’t matter how much they spend this summer or how many players they buy.

We attack and defend as a unit better and more coherently than anyone else in the league because of Guardiola, his tactics and our collective workrate. No one can match what we do as long as we don’t get complacent.

Firstly, we need to retain that competitive edge within our own squad by bringing in a couple of new faces so no one is guaranteed their place without a fight. Secondly we need to retain that team spirit which means no dickheads (Tevez, Balotelli, Yaya) and also retain the same level of perspective within the squad (e.g. family comes first as we have proved with Merlin, Pep’s yellow ribbon).

The threats will come from the same top 6 as there is now. As they will all strengthen their squads. It will be a question of who strengthens their squad better. as to who will pose the biggest threat to us.
We have a much better squad and strenth in depth so we start from a much stronger position .Spurs Chelsea Arsenal would have to spend an absolute fortune to come any where near us and Liverpool and the rags would have to spend a fair bit as well

Thing is, when I look at that lot and Liverpool, I see them having to spend considerable sums to buy first-team players, not simply adding to their quality in depth, which means that when the injuries and suspensions materialise, they are still found wanting. Similarly, matches are generally won in the midfield, and the team with greater creativity will invariably win more games. That lot won at the weekend by by-passing the midfield entirely, and Liverpool couldn't respond due to the absence of quality in that area. Unless both start adding world class midfield creativity, they will continue to fall short.

Yes, considering the amounts both clubs have spent on players. Crazy sums spent on VVD, Pogba, Lukaku,etc, etc They will continue to get rinsed.

Won't fix their problems all in one window, too expensive and too many players to move on. Just don't see it happening.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.