Julian Weigl

Has always been compared to Busquets due to his mould but he'll do well to hit Fernandinho's peak levels let alone Busquets' levels..Has hit a ceiling in the last season and a half and been very poor,even BVB fans admit it,and his injury record recently is a huge concern
Fred and Weigl are hugely different in that Fred is a mobile DM while Weigl is a regista.Fact that Fred was the 'no 1' target shows that we were going down the mobile DM/DLP route.
Mateo Kovačić the best/better attainable alternative..50 M € release clause only and best U23 CM in Europe.

He's still a fantastic talent that is now playing in a dysfunctional Dortmund team. He clearly miss playing with Gündogan and hasn't hit the same heights since then, if anything this is a great position to buy him because Pep knows all about Weigl and his pricetag won't be excessive.
Wouldn't be so optimistic on the pruce

Everton thought Stones is shit and still cost us 50m

I'm only posting a few observations (not an expert or hipster) on Weigl.

For me, the concerns about his physicality are rightly justified but German football isn't exactly free flowing, lacking strength and power and he regularly excels.

His intelligence is superior to 98% of players on a football pitch at any given time making him one step ahead of opposition players.

His passing range and speed of passing is ridiculous. Honestly, I've never seen his like in the Premier League. Also, fans were worried about Gundogan’s lack of physicality in midfield and he was fantastic against Arsenal x2 and Chelsea - so Weigl could easily slot in during games like this also.

He has stagnated at Dortmund over the past two seasons but that's not really a surprise considering how turbulent the club has been, mixed with a long-term ankle injury he picked up. Under Stroger, he's getting back to his best and been fantastic since the return of their winter break.

His energy levels and dynamism are superb also and for me, he’s the missing piece in this squad. Dortmund have taking the hardball approach in recent years regarding fees and would be surprised if he cost less than €70million.

Again, I'm no expert but just sharing a few thoughts and opinions.

Glad we're back in on him. It's hard to gauge how fast he can be when recovering from errors because he rarely ever commits one. It's as if he's in the right position all the time. And combine that with unreal passing accuracy and range, he'll probably be one of our most important signings in the Pep era. I have no problem in him being our most expensive transfer of the summer.

I'd be worried about his physicality in this league. He's a very slow player who lacks dynamism. SMS would be a much better fit.

SMS is in no way shape or form a defensive midfielder, he's like a third CM or a glorified version of Fellaini. I don't know why this forum thinks he is, is it because he's big? It's funny because Milinkovic is also not dynamic or fast. His ballretention is awful for a physical midfielder.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.