Pep signs new contract until 2025 (p 1262)

I was very happy with the lineup on Saturday because I knew it was good enough to tear the rags a new one, which it was. Guardiola set the team up in a way which absolutely showed them up and was let down by the players finishing, his lineup and tactics were spot on. I didn't like the Wednesday line-up but understood exactly why he decided to change tactics from the game in January which obviously didn't go well, and the fundamental idea of adding in Gundogan to make it 4v3 in midfield is a good one he's used before to beat Klopp in the past. I tend to think this side is better when taking it to the opposition and I'd have played Sterling, but he was only just coming back from injury so maybe that played its part too.

Scorelines are disappointing but I can look past them because they're the 3rd and 4th game we've lost all bloody season and I don't think we're beyond losing a couple of games in a 60 game season, having already put the league out of sight and won the cup.

Perhaps I just haven't reached your level of entitlement yet, where winning the league by 13 points is not enough, where going out in the CL 1/4's is a disaster and where a league + cup double is met with apathy because we didn't win it on the exact day you wanted to.

What utter dross.

I was very happy with the lineup on Saturday because I knew it was good enough to tear the rags a new one, which it was. Guardiola set the team up in a way which absolutely showed them up and was let down by the players finishing, his lineup and tactics were spot on. I didn't like the Wednesday line-up but understood exactly why he decided to change tactics from the game in January which obviously didn't go well, and the fundamental idea of adding in Gundogan to make it 4v3 in midfield is a good one he's used before to beat Klopp in the past. I tend to think this side is better when taking it to the opposition and I'd have played Sterling, but he was only just coming back from injury so maybe that played its part too.

Scorelines are disappointing but I can look past them because they're the 3rd and 4th game we've lost all bloody season and I don't think we're beyond losing a couple of games in a 60 game season, having already put the league out of sight and won the cup.

Perhaps I just haven't reached your level of entitlement yet, where winning the league by 13 points is not enough, where going out in the CL 1/4's is a disaster and where a league + cup double is met with apathy because we didn't win it on the exact day you wanted to.
Agree with the sentiments and want Pep here for another 5 years +
However the tactics did work but only worked for 45 minutes and inexplicably the team, Pep included, didn't react until it was too late.
I think what's causing most concern is in our two biggest games we were woeful in one and inept when leading and pressure was applied in the other. As you say, we've won a cup and going out of the CL is certainly no disaster - just the manner of it in the tie so far.
I don't care if Sterling was coming back from a labotomy - his finishing was inexcusable - but in fairness to him, we should be relying on a striker not him.
As a life long pessiminst the league isn't out of sight and as a lifelong blue I take absolutely nothing for granted.

Last edited:
I hope he's at City for years to come as some of the football we've seen this season has been the best from any City side I've ever seen.
He shouldn't just be judged on the likely Champions League exit to Liverpool, he failed to win a CL at Bayern, a club with a huge European Cup pedigree, that shows how difficult it is to win that particular trophy.
Yes i'm hugely disappointed with the recent two games as we just went missing but we'll still win the league and that's the most important trophy for me, the owners may feel otherwise though.

I want to see Pep place some trust in Foden, Diaz, Roberts and Nmecha. Nmecha can be better than Rashford and probably G.Jesus. He has a very strong physical build, he is tall and has an eye for goals, would be the big attacker we have lacked upfront since Dzeko left. There isn't much to play for, the season is done and dusted, time to blood the young ones.

Exactly this. Didn't expect us to be anywhere near this level this season, or next. Anyone watching that on Saturday and thinking the rags are spomehow in front of us are deluded. One of the biggest positives will be them keeping Mourinho on the back of beating City once in the season. I said it in another post but seeing them celebrate like they had won the champions league made them look like us from the 1980's-2000's and I loved seeing that.

So you'd have played them in our last 2 games then ?

Read my post again, there isn't much to play for, the season is done. It would take a miracle to over turn the 3-0 deficit against Lfc but if we can do it, great! If not, we play a full strength team against Spurs, get a good result and then throw the young lads in to round up the season, that's what I meant.

Read my post again, there isn't much to play for, the season is done.
Its anything but "done", until its mathematically certain that we've won the league, we should be playing the best team we can, it might happen against Spurs it might not happen until Southampton, so what your post says is stupid. The same applies tomorrow night, we go into that game with a small but significant chance of over turning the score, and therefore we go with our strongest possible team.

If we get the luxury of giving them games in the final 3 or 4 great, I'll be right behind the idea, but right now nothing is "done" other than the FA Cup, because we are out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.