Liverpool (h) - CL QF post match thread

I was referring to the season as a whole, I think we have had some shocking decisions and personally can't thing of any that went our way but I usually have my blue spectacles on.

I am still seething about past incidents:
  • Atkinson adding time to time added on at the Swamp
  • Clattenburg giving penalty against Sterling when the ball hit him on the back outside the area
  • Taylor going to his back pocket for the red card then changing his mond against Chelsea and his failure to punish Fabregas in the same game.
  • Tackles by Deli Ali and Kane that only received yellows.
Plus numerous others including those in the last three matches.

Other teams must feel we have got away with things, but I am struggling to remember them.

The media never highlight all these decisions and seem to just accept them as the rub of the green, they never fight our corner.

Had time to sleep on it. Silva was offside for one of the goals against Arse at home. Other than that I'm struggling to find another in our favour.

Over it now! We weren’t good enough over two legs.
Coulda, Shoulda, Wouda, doesn’t matter anymore. We can blame officiating all we like, we know it’s true, but we would spoil UEFA and their little cash cow party.
Some awful performances across the team, all we can do is move on to the next game.
Not looking forward to Spurs tbh, all I ask is a solid professional, non comical defending performance.
Come on City, move 3 points closer to the title please.

Sorry to see you lose. The first half, for all the great football, didn’t remove the feeling that not to create more clear cut chances and take a few might come back.

Against Utd you should have been out of the park, but failed to capitalise. Same thing first half against Liverpool.

Even with the goal that really was, going in only two up after such a dominating half wasn’t good enough. The goal being chalked off had you only 1 up and everybody knew Salah only needed one good chance.

After he scored, you folded. Folding is not a trait of truly great teams. Your defence isn’t strong enough. You take too many risks at the back and the absence of a top finisher has undone you.

I said last week that these games would tell you all you need to know about the mentality of this team. It did.

It isn’t strong enough.

Decisions went against you, but those were the three biggest games of the season and you lost all three. Great teams need more than ability. They need a mindset that copes with big games. Add in Liverpool or Utd aren’t as good as you and that situation is worse.

If they can’t beat teams who aren’t as good in the crunch games, how would they cope with the better teams?

You lack steel and your defence is still dodgy.

If you dismiss these last three games as solely the fault of corrupt or stupid refs, it deflects from areas that have to be honestly taken on board and addressed. A striker, a midfield assassin/playmaker and a CB.

Not good enough yet. Great to watch at times, but lacking a psychological killer streak when it really matters.

Hopefully next year for the CL.

I have read the rules. This is the quote from the IFAB definition, which I've shortened to cut-out the bits in that that aren't relevant but have kept the exact wording for the bits I've quoted:

In summary, he's offside if the ball rebounds or deflects off an opponent but not if the opponent deliberately played the ball. So the interpretation is whether the ball rebounded off Milner or whether he played it deliberately. To me, it looked more like the former than the latter.
Sane was onside when De Bruyne played the ball to him and this takes precedence over the ball deflecting off two opponents afterwards.

Sorry to see you lose. The first half, for all the great football, didn’t remove the feeling that not to create more clear cut chances and take a few might come back.

Against Utd you should have been out of the park, but failed to capitalise. Same thing first half against Liverpool.

Even with the goal that really was, going in only two up after such a dominating half wasn’t good enough. The goal being chalked off had you only 1 up and everybody knew Salah only needed one good chance.

After he scored, you folded. Folding is not a trait of truly great teams. Your defence isn’t strong enough. You take too many risks at the back and the absence of a top finisher has undone you.

I said last week that these games would tell you all you need to know about the mentality of this team. It did.

It isn’t strong enough.

Decisions went against you, but those were the three biggest games of the season and you lost all three. Great teams need more than ability. They need a mindset that copes with big games. Add in Liverpool or Utd aren’t as good as you and that situation is worse.

If they can’t beat teams who aren’t as good in the crunch games, how would they cope with the better teams?

You lack steel and your defence is still dodgy.

If you dismiss these last three games as solely the fault of corrupt or stupid refs, it deflects from areas that have to be honestly taken on board and addressed. A striker, a midfield assassin/playmaker and a CB.

Not good enough yet. Great to watch at times, but lacking a psychological killer streak when it really matters.

Hopefully next year for the CL.
Fair comment except for the defence part. Check the Premier League table and the goals against column - the best in the league.

Bit of a myth about our defence isn't it?

Yes of course it can improve but then again maybe we would not have scored 90 as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.