Media Thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
His selections were a bit ridiculous. The problem with trying to fit our players into those teams though is teams have to be about a successful blend and just because one player might be better than another, doesn't make them a better fit in another team; especially when you go across the ages.

Despite their shot stopping credentials, none of the other keepers are to my recollection sufficiently good ball players to get into this City side. Of course they didn't do the who would get into this City side bit. Taking a very quick stab at that: Henry would displace Raz; Ashley Cole would get in ahead of Delph; I hate to say it but John Terry would grab a spot alongside Vinnie and Keane or Paddy would probably edge out Dinho. So that's four players I think you could sensibly change and be an even better Pep team. Most importantly though, for me, a Pep team beats all the others.

They would just do the same shit of taking players who were successful in a totally different era, playing a completely different style of football, against opposition who were also playing a completely different style of football, & automatically assume they could do it better than the current City team.

They take 'brains' out of the equation.

If they could play like City do, England would have won or almost won the World Cup, with Gerrard, Beckham, Scholes, Lampard, Owen, Ashley young, Ferdinand etc.

Yet most of the time they struggled to string 3 passes together & if they came up against a team who played even half the quality of this current City one, looked like clowns, mainly because the Gerrard's & Beckhams etc were incapable of playing quick pass & move football, & prefer hitting 40 yard passes over people's heads.

The one who could do it, Scholes, couldn't get in the team because the rest had no idea how to play with him.

I recently saw one of those Sky wankfests over Utd's sides from that era & it's like watching 60s football compared to City & indeed the Premier League now. Some great individual skills etc but the team play by them & their opponents is prehistoric.

How come every two-bit hack knows that Pep's sole remit when he was appointed was to win the Champions League? How do they know that our owners only obsession in life is to win that trophy, because I've never heard that coming out of the club. Ferguson's CL record is actually pretty average considering the money he spent and the players he had access to, the two times they did win it, they were battered in the final and enjoyed a huge slice of luck.

It’s almost as if they’re trying to downplay our achievement!

It’s almost as if they’re trying to downplay our achievement!

Not winning the UCL is the stick they will use to say we are not as good as the Rags and Candlepool were in their prime. Hope it drives the club on to win it in the next few years. We need to drive on now and make our team formidable on the European stage.

How come every two-bit hack knows that Pep's sole remit when he was appointed was to win the Champions League? How do they know that our owners only obsession in life is to win that trophy, because I've never heard that coming out of the club.
It's called shifting the goalposts.

Not winning the UCL is the stick they will use to say we are not as good as the Rags and Candlepool were in their prime. Hope it drives the club on to win it in the next few years. We need to drive on now and make our team formidable on the European stage.

You are right off course, and they will forever find an angle to denigrate our achievements in relation to the aforementioned establishments - win the CL, yeah come back to us when you won five (or six) etc.

Personally I have no doubts at all in my mind that we will win the CL and League double, and we will do it in a style that only the great Barca team of Pep’s can claim to have bettered. He who laughs last as they say...

They would just do the same shit of taking players who were successful in a totally different era, playing a completely different style of football, against opposition who were also playing a completely different style of football, & automatically assume they could do it better than the current City team.

They take 'brains' out of the equation.

If they could play like City do, England would have won or almost won the World Cup, with Gerrard, Beckham, Scholes, Lampard, Owen, Ashley young, Ferdinand etc.

Yet most of the time they struggled to string 3 passes together & if they came up against a team who played even half the quality of this current City one, looked like clowns, mainly because the Gerrard's & Beckhams etc were incapable of playing quick pass & move football, & prefer hitting 40 yard passes over people's heads.

The one who could do it, Scholes, couldn't get in the team because the rest had no idea how to play with him.

I recently saw one of those Sky wankfests over Utd's sides from that era & it's like watching 60s football compared to City & indeed the Premier League now. Some great individual skills etc but the team play by them & their opponents is prehistoric.

And the much vaunted Scholes wouldn't get in our team because, good as he was, he couldn't play the roles that KDB and Silva player better than them; I also don't think he is as gifted as either of those two players.

It is hard comparing across the years and it's easy to forget what the game was exactly like at particular points. I rarely watch old stuff on Sky etc but I have recently read a couple of books looking at the history of tactics and that certainly helped me to further appreciate how unsophisticated "English" football has tended to be and the level that Pep has taken things to.

We are truly privileged to be supporting this City team and whether people outside of the club and its fans appreciate that is ultimately irrelevant but gives us something else to talk about.

And the much vaunted Scholes wouldn't get in our team because, good as he was, he couldn't play the roles that KDB and Silva player better than them; I also don't think he is as gifted as either of those two players.

It is hard comparing across the years and it's easy to forget what the game was exactly like at particular points. I rarely watch old stuff on Sky etc but I have recently read a couple of books looking at the history of tactics and that certainly helped me to further appreciate how unsophisticated "English" football has tended to be and the level that Pep has taken things to.

We are truly privileged to be supporting this City team and whether people outside of the club and its fans appreciate that is ultimately irrelevant but gives us something else to talk about.

I agree, Scholes great footballer but they are better & he would be pedestrian in our team & get mugged, as Mancini did to him.

Ryan Giggs would come to terms with it, but we have him already in Sane, who is far above Giggs (or Ronaldo) as a team player at the same age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.