Spurs (H) 2nd Leg - Post Match Thread

Where is official news about away rule will be scrapped? I ever heard about that before...
Maybe it was under consideration in some Uefa meetings but doubt its official.
The time has come for it to be removed. European football is very different from when the rule was conceived. This was a rule that was designed to encourage attacking play from the away team but these days teams play the same home and away and so now it favours defensive play from the home team. Rules must follow the changing trends in football and this is one that served a bygone era. How many times have we been knocked out by this rule in recent seasons? We play awesome football and should be rewarded for it, not punished. Extra time last night would have added to the entertainment for the neutral and have been fair.

It is a long time since I looked at a referee’s rule book but we am sure the first rule us “the referee’s decision is final”. Clearly this is a rule that lends itself to wisdom, corruption, conscious and unconscious bias. I feel that in these days of high finance, High scrutiny, high speed, high jinks, professional diving, pressurising there is little room for it. Call it unfortunate, unacceptable or call it progress but that is where we are. I agree with the idea of the spirit of the rules, which is essentially how they are decided but I think the only way we can deal with this is carefully crafting them with this criteria in mind. We want good play to be rewarded with goals, we want the dark arts to be punished fairly. The use of technology is the way forward. One of my personal ideas is yellow carding all simulation whether it was a foul or not but at the same time giving pens for a foul even if the attacker doesn’t go to ground. VAR should be used for this, will we then have a Salad toss in the box when the cheating dipper is already on a yellow? Even if he isn’t you can bet he would accumulate enough of them over a season for a ban.

I think eventually this is how VAR will be utilised and will work. It is still in its infancy and we were unfortunate last night for a call like that to happen, the Ref was not shown all the angles so it isn't his fault. I don't know if this has happened (but I bet it hasn't because they would see themselves as too proud) UEFA should have shadowed Rugby to see how VAR is used and how the multiple angles are fed quickly

In regards to diving, especially when trying to cheat a penalty, it definitely needs to be used. As you say, someone like Salah (for all his apparent talent) is a diver and would be banned

The time has come for it to be removed. European football is very different from when the rule was conceived. This was a rule that was designed to encourage attacking play from the away team but these days teams play the same home and away and so now it favours defensive play from the home team. Rules must follow the changing trends in football and this is one that served a bygone era. How many times have we been knocked out by this rule in recent seasons? We play awesome football and should be rewarded for it, not punished. Extra time last night would have added to the entertainment for the neutral and have been fair.

Totally agree, the away goal rule should be scrapped for what you mention above. Wasn't there an article on this the other day/week about it being possibly removed ?

I think eventually this is how VAR will be utilised and will work. It is still in its infancy and we were unfortunate last night for a call like that to happen, the Ref was not shown all the angles so it isn't his fault. I don't know if this has happened (but I bet it hasn't because they would see themselves as too proud) UEFA should have shadowed Rugby to see how VAR is used and how the multiple angles are fed quickly

In regards to diving, especially when trying to cheat a penalty, it definitely needs to be used. As you say, someone like Salah (for all his apparent talent) is a diver and would be banned
As an addendum I would add that retrospective punishment be retained for any action missed by the ref and VAR. Then after a player knows he has cheated he would spend the rest of the match and a day afterwards stressing on his fate, as (and this is key) would the manager, who lets be honest here, told him to do it in the first place.

For reasons best known to themselves BT keep employing Peter Walton, the most bent refereee in the history of the Premier League, to offer his insight. His verdicts on the two game changing decisions? The ball hit Llorente's knee. (Did it fuck). Aguero was in an offside position when he received the ball. And there's me thinking everyone knows you can't be offside when you receive the ball, only when the ball is played. A contemptible utter fuckwit of the highest order.

How often have Kompany and Laporte played together? Vinny played well but central defensive partnerships take time to develop.

There we go.

Fernando Llorente admits to handballing Champions League winner against City. “I was screwed, I thought they cancelled it.” [Daily Star]

For reasons best known to themselves BT keep employing Peter Walton, the most bent refereee in the history of the Premier League, to offer his insight. His verdicts on the two game changing decisions? The ball hit Llorente's knee. (Did it fuck). Aguero was in an offside position when he received the ball. And there's me thinking everyone knows you can't be offside when you receive the ball, only when the ball is played. A contemptible utter fuckwit of the highest order.

What I find particularly galling (apart from all the above) is that Walton rarely speaks until after the decision is made, and then almost without fail supports it. I'd like to hear what he says before everyone knows the outcome

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.