CAS judgement: UEFA ban overturned, City exonerated (report out p603)

The way I’ve read all of the documented facts & how CAS works means that initially the 2 our bitters (see what I did there) Get to vote. If they both vote the same, then surely this is a majority as the 3rd (president) didn’t vote.

Therefore by the same reasoning, it’s impossible to get a unanimous vote as the president only EVER votes if it’s 1-1.

Therefore EVERY decision at CAS will ALWAYS be a majority of either 2-0 (3rd vote not taken which may have made it 2-1 therefore majority)

I think this is backed up by the fact that every single contested point was a majority

ie majority is either 2-0 (3rd vote never happens) or 2-1

Its highly unlikely that an independent arbitrator would side with UEFA’s evidence of 6 hacked emails

R46 of CAS procedural rules.

"The award shall be made by a majority decision, in the absence of a majority, by the president alone"
That's still how I read it and always have. I find it very difficult to understand how two very educated men could disagree over so many points when confronted by the evidence. The only possible way I think would be if both arbitrators had made their minds up before considering anything, and I'm certainly not buying that.

it means “at least a majority” as opposed to “requiring a unanimous agreement.” Ie that CAS will accept majority decisions.

it is like s20 of the Arbitration Act in England.

“Chairman.

(3) Decisions, orders and awards shall be made by all or a majority of the arbitrators (including the chairman).

(4) The view of the chairman shall prevail in relation to a decision, order or award in respect of which there is neither unanimity nor a majority under subsection (3)”

it wasn’t 2-0 with the president silent. It could have been 2-1 with the president against us but that’s obviously unlikely. Very few judgments state “majority” and CAS were at pains to say so on this one.
It was 2-1, I checked with CAS.

Your input on this topic has been amazing mate, but I’m not sure I understand you on this one. Possibly me being dim or a lack of any type of legal training, but how can you ever have a unanimous decision At CAS on each point if the 3rd person only ever votes if it’s 1-1?

By default doesn’t that make every decision at CAS a majority as you will never have 3-0 or am I missing something?

the way I’ve read it is that every result will either be a 2-0 majority or a 2-1 majority.

Surely the part in bold can’t be correct with the exception of the the co operation charge as that was the only we lost & the president only votes if the other 2 arbitrators aren’t in agreement....or again, am I missing something?

Not that it really matters as we have been EXONERATED :)

The President makes his call - this idea the President sits back and lets the others argue it out is not right. So often, it will be 3-0 and a unanimous view. Sometimes there is a dissenter and they then say "majority of the Panel". In this case most of the key calls were 2-1

Your input on this topic has been amazing mate, but I’m not sure I understand you on this one. Possibly me being dim or a lack of any type of legal training, but how can you ever have a unanimous decision At CAS on each point if the 3rd person only ever votes if it’s 1-1?

By default doesn’t that make every decision at CAS a majority as you will never have 3-0 or am I missing something?

the way I’ve read it is that every result will either be a 2-0 majority or a 2-1 majority.

Surely the part in bold can’t be correct with the exception of the the co operation charge as that was the only we lost & the president only votes if the other 2 arbitrators aren’t in agreement....or again, am I missing something?

Not that it really matters as we have been EXONERATED :)

The way I read the rules in the @projectriver post a verdict requires a majority including the chairman so all three vote. So if it is 2-1 with the chairman as one of the two then that is the outcome but presumably if the chairman is the minority vote then it isn't.

Edit: just seen the post above so my question to @projectriver is whether my interpretation of the chairman being the minority vote is correct?

The way I read the rules in the @projectriver post a verdict requires a majority including the chairman so all three vote. So if it is 2-1 with the chairman as one of the two then that is the outcome but presumably if the chairman is the minority vote then it isn't.

Edit: just seen the post above so my question to @projectriver is whether my interpretation of the chairman being the minority vote is correct?
Safe to say Ulrich Haas was the dissenter and McDougall the dissenter on the coop charge.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.