It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Denayer and Stones would be the perfect mix of competition and the right age profile, with, as you say, Harwood Bellis in reserve.

We have faced Denayer three times now and he has proved more than capable against our attack.

I don't want us blowing £70m plus on a central defender - that calibre of player just isn't out there at present IMO.

Use the money for a world class midfielder who can run and tackle.
Spot on about Denayer when i watched him play against us numerous times he has matured well as a defender.

Did you watch Rodri before he played for us, because you can't possibly think he would be "awesome" but are now surprised how slow he is?

He is slow, that isn't an issue here. The problem is a stupidly highline with defenders incapable of playing it. Gundogan stood 3ft away from him for 90mins also doesn't help.

Put KDB and Bernardo or preferrably Aouar in that midfield and Rodri can be left to do what he does best.

We still need players behind who can rescue things when he gets exposed, which will happen.

We still need players behind who can rescue things when he gets exposed, which will happen.
Yep exactly. This season we have had one player with pace and that is Walker. If you watch a lot of last season he saved us on more than one occasion. Ake is a good start to solving the problem, Koulibaly would be a great boost and perhaps Mendy will be feeling sharper and fitter. Can't possibly get any slower than when we had Otamendi and Zinchenko back there last season.

Anyone that is not Gundogan alongside Rodri would help as well as they can actually run backwards.

He's got no fight in him. Remember last season when that non-league mug claimed any striker would score a 40 a year past Stones just before we played them in the cup? Any player with any kind of fight or pride would have turned up and absolutely battered that amateur, but Stones got pushed around, and eventually he scored.

Stones is broken mentally. His personal life is a state, he looks like shit, I disagree with @tolmie's hairdoo that his passing regressed because of Rodri, it's been getting less and less adventurous and penetrating since 2017/18 ended.

Maybe he's fixable, maybe he can get over everything and get the swagger back, but I've got no faith in it, I think he's just got too many mental scars from high profile cock up after high profile cock up and the Nations League killed him off. There's no way the john stones of 2019 or 2020 would do this -

I'd love to see him hit the gym, go through a transformation like Leon Goretzka at Bayern, who put on about 10kg of muscle and went from talented but not that effective box-to-box midfielder to a completely dominating physical presence. That would help him a lot IMO, if he could just learn to relish the physical fights the way Kompany did, VVD does, Koulibaly can, it might give him a confidence boost if he has more to rely on than passing.

I remember it was Port Vale hardly non league and also I accept not Barca
Oh we won 4:1 so I guess Stones did his job
I agree he needs to improve by the way but it’s funny how people make facts fit
I also note that you say Koulibaly can , well that remains to be seen I guess
You don’t become a professorial international footballer without fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.