#26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t really understand how he got his starting place back from Foden. His output for goals and assists was/ is lower, he doesn’t work as hard and in general he just flatters to deceive. He was poor last night.

Still doesn't seem to know how to play for City. Keeps the ball too long, largely ineffective off the ball in a defensive capacity and when he is in space he never looks for a pass. He gets it and you're just waiting for him to drop a shoulder before shooting.

There's a quality player in there, his first touch is brilliant and his passing range is class. But unless he's one on one he should be trying to find someone in space. I saw Aguero trying to get the message to him during the first half, and I've noticed many City players getting frustrated with him for shooting rather than passing when he's in the box and they're unmarked.

His salary will be a big problem for clubs that would sign him imo.

He is 30 in February. Would be his last big move, certainly he would not fancy lower salary than what he is contracted for until 2023.

But this leads us back to recruitment issues we sign him for 60m, big salary and 2-3 years later he is not good enough.
We should then stop spending 60ms on these players and sign 100m players less frequently who are key starters and top class ones.
I’m not sure what the answer is. Our spine for the last decade was Zaba, vinnie, Fern, David, Yaya, Kun. None of them were 100m. Now we seem to be transitioning to a spine which will include Eddie, Laporte, Walker, Kev, Phil, Raheem Which is pretty decent when they are all fit but would anyone say it was better than what it has replaced? The obvious weak spot is replacements for Fern and Kun. I really doubt we will get back to our peak until those two positions have been resolved. And Rodri is not the answer for Fern. We always had hit and miss recruitment round the spine of the team. For every Tevez or Sane their was a Fernando or Mendy.

He’s so much better when he actually passes the ball! He clearly has the ability to do it, and needs to do it more consistently.

Last edited:
I don’t really understand how he got his starting place back from Foden. His output for goals and assists was/ is lower, he doesn’t work as hard and in general he just flatters to deceive. He was poor last night.
Foden needs to play central. I hope Pep starts rotating with Torres/Mahrez on the RW.

I don’t hate mahrez especially when he he is playing in blue. My problem and I think others would agree is that he is supposed to be a match winner. He Was bought to unlock defences and offer us another option against park the bus tactics.

Mahrez should be doing better with (a) his end product and (b) his decision making. He creates but it very rarely impacts the game. Wasteful opportunities and he won’t change now.

Was thinking about him last night, and got the feeling that when Foden and Torres were doing well and the team looked a bit more vibrant that he became even more selfish and even more of an outcast in the side. Maybe that's just me projecting but he looked a bit like he was sulking that young lads were doing his job better than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.