Offside judgement (Laporte v Wolves)

The whole concept of handball as it's currently viewed is lost on the idea that handball was only ever conceived as an idea to prevent defenders saving shots heading toward the goal and that another item of contention, the penalty kick, was awarded.

I have for donkey's years argued that the penalty kick should be abolished and for any foul or handball in the area a direct free kick should be awarded. If a foul or handball prevents a CERTAIN goal then the referee, as in Rugby, can just award a Goal (Try).

This in an instant would stop players diving and cheating, as they might as well stay in their feet if all they are getting is a free kick, whilst also stop penalties being given for point blank handballs.

BBC are reporting Ifab are changing rules for offside rulings:

"In a statement, Ifab said "incorrect applications of the law" made the change necessary but "it will remain an offence if a player scores accidentally with their hand or arm, or uses their hand or arm directly before scoring".

The body also clarified its interpretation of the offside law, saying the definition for handball, whereby the arm ends at the bottom of the armpit, must be used when judging whether a player is offside or not."

Seems to be saying Laporte's goal was wrongly given offside.

Laporte was given offside by a "T-shirt distance" on his arm not from under the armpit!
Changing it again ? All these changes as the season goes on is a big disadvantage to those who have had goals already ruled out , pick the way they are goung to do it and stick to it the whole season and review it in the summer , the whole thing pisses me off, i was for it as i thought it would stop diving and cheating but it doesnt

The whole concept of handball as it's currently viewed is lost on the idea that handball was only ever conceived as an idea to prevent defenders saving shots heading toward the goal and that another item of contention, the penalty kick, was awarded.

I have for donkey's years argued that the penalty kick should be abolished and for any foul or handball in the area a direct free kick should be awarded. If a foul or handball prevents a CERTAIN goal then the referee, as in Rugby, can just award a Goal (Try).

This in an instant would stop players diving and cheating, as they might as well stay in their feet if all they are getting is a free kick, whilst also stop penalties being given for point blank handballs.
Just a couple of things. An attacker is completely unmarked on the penalty spot, a cross is heading straight for him so the defender deliberately handles the ball to stop it getting to him, what then? An attacker beats his defender inside the penalty area and is about to roll the ball to his teammate who has a tap in so the defender chops him down before he gets the pass away, what then?

Genuine question, why do they use these lines but do it on a still picture taken from a camera that is at an angle?

They have the technology to spin 360° around the whole pitch, we are shown this all the time with goal replays. However, the camera angle used for a VAR offside check, isn't done from inline (where the linesman should be) it's done from up above the corner flag somewhere.

They do it because they want to disguise the fact they're cheating little twats. Some of the decisions we've seen under VAR have been far more horrendous than without it.

There is corruption in the sport, no doubt about it, and it's happened for decades gone by, across all leagues. Anywhere there is gambling and money involved, there will be those who are corruptible. There is nothing we can do about it though. We have to hope that we are good enough that it doesn't matter if we get these awful decisions against us. We can still moan about it, but just know, they are cheating and It makes it all the more sweeter when we screw their plans up.

Changing it again ? All these changes as the season goes on is a big disadvantage to those who have had goals already ruled out , pick the way they are goung to do it and stick to it the whole season and review it in the summer , the whole thing pisses me off, i was for it as i thought it would stop diving and cheating but it doesnt
To be fair, Ifab looked at a number of rules.

This particular offside matter was an existing Ifab rule that was being wrongly interpreted by recent English VAR teams, for Laporte, Werner etc. (They were incorrectly using a T-shirt point, rather than underneath the armpit.)

You are right it's was a disadvantage to the team's that have been on the wrong end of it, but at least they should know for the future. Thankfully we won the game anyway ;-)

(Also there were other rule changes, eg to accidental handball which will implemented in July at the end of the season.)

Last edited:
Changing it again ? All these changes as the season goes on is a big disadvantage to those who have had goals already ruled out ,
From the first of July Kaz, so we are stuck with these bizarre interpretations until next season. Or until some fuckwit in the VAR box forgets they are not being implemented until 1st July and screws someone over in the remaining part of the season for measuring the offside from the wrong part of the body.

From the first of July Kaz, so we are stuck with these bizarre interpretations until next season. Or until some fuckwit in the VAR box forgets they are not being implemented until 1st July and screws someone over in the remaining part of the season for measuring the offside from the wrong part of the body.
As I said in my post above, new rule changes eg to accidental handball will be changed in July.

However the wrong interpretation of the existing rule, that offside should be measured from underneath the armpit, rather than the T-shirt line should be implemented immediately. Laporte and Werner should not have been ruled offside.

Not deemed clear enough an error to change....but let's consider it's a goal by some other team where the liner dosen't flag, VAR looks at it and THAT'S then deemed a goal as it's not a clear and obvious error.

The issue isn't just about VAR it's how we are officiated that's the problem.
If someone scored that against us and the on field ref initially gave it, I’d have no issues with the goal standing.

It’s too tight a call to get wrong really. The advantage should be given to the attacker as it’s always been, which should have led to the on field ref allowing the goal. VAR doesn’t need to do anything. If you can see it’s offside on the first look at a VAR screen then it’s probably a clear and obvious error and then it can be turned over. Lines and freeze frames are killing it

If someone scored that against us and the on field ref initially gave it, I’d have no issues with the goal standing.

It’s too tight a call to get wrong really. The advantage should be given to the attacker as it’s always been, which should have led to the on field ref allowing the goal. VAR doesn’t need to do anything. If you can see it’s offside on the first look at a VAR screen then it’s probably a clear and obvious error and then it can be turned over. Lines and freeze frames are killing it
I don't think VAR should look at it for more than 15 seconds.

If it's clearly offside they should see that from the first look - if they can't then call it level, advantage attacker.

Anything else it is long enough to decide it's clear and obvious and refer it to the referee to check on the pitch side monitor.

VAR should be there to assist the onfield officials not replace them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.