US Politics Thread

LOL what a shock

My skipping-out before paying the bill was beautiful. It was perfect.
I know it was perfect. You know it was perfect. Many people have said so.
It was the most beautiful, most perfect skipping-out in the past million years.
You, FogBlue, are a nasty person!

Last edited:

Despicable figures all of them. But if we're to have someone on that list, I guess Christe is first choice for at least having the guts to call out Trump. But this is the guy who likely set up some sort of bridge gridlock/traffic jam in order to inconvenience an opponent - at the expense of citizens who merely wanted to get to work or otherwise reach some destination.

Scott a distant second - nice guy seemingly - but lost all my confidence when he stated that he'd pardon Trump if elected. Yet another political figure who will say (and presumably do) nearly anything to get elected.
===
Wishful thinking on my part - but honestly, I'd welcome a Mitt Romney-style candidate into the fold. Though I'd likely not vote for him versus Biden, at least I'd be confident in his leadership should Biden lose.

Last edited:
Is the Republican Party of Old Permanently Dead?

Certain figures - Adam Kinzinger, Margaret Hoover, perhaps Mitt Romney and Liz Cheney - have expressed the opinion that the Republican party has been taken over by a fringe element. That this situation is temporary. That rationality will resume once the current aberration runs its course.

In my opinion this is hogwash!

What's actually going on in the Republican party now, is that longstanding beliefs, formerly suppressed as not being politically correct, are now welcome. The opinions expressed by Fox News, Newsmax and other such outlets precisely reflects the majority Republican opinion. In other words, if you believe in voting rights, gun control, woman's rights, LGBTW rights, vaccinations, science, government agencies, the role of the USA in foreign affairs - and so on - then the Republican party is not for you - and from this point forward, never will be.

Why? Because the typical Republican voter never believed in these values and now that disavowal of such beliefs is no longer suppressed by societal norms, there's no chance that a centrist Republican will ever win office - save in very few, special circumstances.

IMO, the Republican party of old is dead, if not permanently, at least for the foreseeable future.
===
Thoughts?

Is the Republican Party of Old Permanently Dead?

Certain figures - Adam Kinzinger, Margaret Hoover, perhaps Mitt Romney and Liz Cheney - have expressed the opinion that the Republican party has been taken over by a fringe element. That this situation is temporary. That rationality will resume once the current aberration runs its course.

In my opinion this is hogwash!

What's actually going on in the Republican party now, is that longstanding beliefs, formerly suppressed as not being politically correct, are now welcome. The opinions expressed by Fox News, Newsmax and other such outlets precisely reflects the majority Republican opinion. In other words, if you believe in voting rights, gun control, woman's rights, LGBTW rights, vaccinations, science, government agencies, the role of the USA in foreign affairs - and so on - then the Republican party is not for you - and from this point forward, never will be.

Why? Because the typical Republican voter never believed in these values and now that disavowal of such beliefs is no longer suppressed by societal norms, there's no chance that a centrist Republican will ever win office - save in very few, special circumstances.

IMO, the Republican party of old is dead, if not permanently, at least for the foreseeable future.
===
Thoughts?

The problem the GOP is facing is that the political climate they cultivated when they decided to pander to unfounded fears of white Americans. Guys like Rush Limbaugh contributed to this age of conservative discourse we see today in media.

However, like all monsters the GOP initially had it on a leash initially. The core base was still rabid but they could be directed by intellectuals like Paul Ryan, Mitt Romney, Bush Sr., etc.

But now the base has grown restless and a few opportunist grifters see that there is profit to be made too. The base through the media apparatus have taken their spot in the front seat. It’s reaching a point where all that is left are the crazies, this is evident through the GOP primaries which are famous for being more open than the Democrats. It’s why an outsider like Trump(who lost his first GOP primary bid in the early 2000s)was able to out muscle the likes of Cruz, Rubio, and Graham. I don’t know if anything changes cause the GOP base is very strong. No Republican can even sniff party nomination without appealing to them.

Perhaps, but I think very unlikely. If my assessment of Trump's personality is even remotely correct, pleading to a charge or even simply agreeing not to run for office is something Trump would never countenance.
Let's face it, a 10 year jail term is essentially a life sentence. He'll die before he even reaches half way.

With the threat of that he MIGHT just see sense, but I'm with you on his narcissistic personalty. I strongly think he genuinely believes he's above the law.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.