PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

I can see your point, and agree that it's daft to suggest we're all apologists for the UAE, but it's surely easier to make the link where the people clearly support just one team, and that team is owned by an entity linked to a state. Sports where the occasional event is held in a state, or where people are "fans" of individuals etc. are very different.

In other sports it's often the players who are the ones getting grief. The LIV golfers certainly got a shitstorm raining down on them (albeit things have got more complex since), and the players who went to Saudi faced plenty of criticism. Bein and Qatar have also been linked to sportswashing repeatedly in the media, but there isn't really a Bein fanbase to attack.

The other key difference in being fans of a team, rather than individuals, a sport, or a TV station, is of course that you have more obvious rivals. Rivalry between supporters is almost entirely based on hypocrisy. Their players are shit, our are great. They get all the decisions, we get hard done to. Their owners are worse than ours.
Good post. I also think a lot of it is down to snobbery, golf and F1 are deemed upper middle class sports, whereas football fans are still plebs who need controlling, the hypocrisy of it is the same plebs who need controlling and an occasional police baton on the head to keep them in line should also know the ins and outs of complex Middle East geopolitics.

Of course we all know there would be no such hand wringing if one of the favoured clubs got taken over by a Middle East regime.

I'm certain that the panel won't be taking any potential geopolitical consequences into account and I wouldn't want them to either. We are either innocent of the charges after due consideration or we aren't. Why should we get away with something on the basis that our owner wouldn't invest billions in Sizewell if we were punished for example? We as a support base would be outraged if that was the case with a rival club so you have to be consistent.

Obviously I want us to be cleared and for this to finally go away but not on the basis of threats or undue financial pressure. I also think that people are over estimating the influence our owner could bring to bear on the UK government. Yes Abu Dhabi invests in UK projects but the country wouldn't collapse if it didn't.
I get where you are coming from but many things are linked the PL is a massive earner for this country, and seeing it successful is a political and economic priority, that thee is a battle over regulation going on between the government and the PL there can be no doubt

I'm certain that the panel won't be taking any potential geopolitical consequences into account and I wouldn't want them to either. We are either innocent of the charges after due consideration or we aren't. Why should we get away with something on the basis that our owner wouldn't invest billions in Sizewell if we were punished for example? We as a support base would be outraged if that was the case with a rival club so you have to be consistent.

Obviously I want us to be cleared and for this to finally go away but not on the basis of threats or undue financial pressure. I also think that people are over estimating the influence our owner could bring to bear on the UK government. Yes Abu Dhabi invests in UK projects but the country wouldn't collapse if it didn't.

I couldn’t care less how we win the case as long as we win it.

The whole premise of FFP/sustainability is designed to be unfair. Rivals have attempted to load the dice from day one and will continue to do so.

This is no time to be noble or take a knife to a gunfight.

Just win the case and move on.

The whole premise of FFP/sustainability is designed to be unfair. Rivals have attempted to load the dice from day one and will continue to do so.

Absolutely, the SAS can assault the PL hq on government orders as far as I'm concerned.

Have any of our accountants/auditors/sponsors moved to distance themselves from us? You would have thought if there was even a whiff that we may have misled them in any way or engaged in dubious accounting practices they would be queuing up to do so.
we only use them on High street an they need work

Regardless of yours or mine personal views I think the time for getting these charges binned on the back of political and financial pressure on the government has well and truly passed by. If the government was then going to lean on the PL then the time to do that was before '115' charges were laid.

Clearly the PL weren't giving it any consideration and the independent panel will not even entertain it. They will reach a conclusion based on what's before them.

As they say the right word in the right ear can make a big difference. Having seen the kangaroo court that Everton have faced mainly because Masters came up with the PL sanctions policy after the tribunal had started as far as I am aware. It is clear that the process we will face will be highly politicised with heavy influence from the clubs that spend a lot of time thinking about the past. For these reasons, City need to talk to whoever they need to talk to to either ensure a fair impartial process happens or that the circus of a tribunal, if that is what it will be, should be shut down. I have no idea who that is, but Khaldoon is very well connected, so I am sure this is something City are managing behind the scenes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.