PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

Mmmmm.... So essentially a team would have to weigh up if it was a price worth paying?

I ask because I think as long as all bills were paid & the club had no outstanding debt, a move like that could signal the end of FFP or whatever it's being called this week.

It could then promote secure owner investment with the monies deposited into an escrow account, & counterbalanced by a fairer wages to turnover ratio rule.
Thing is: if you fail for one three year period, there is a pretty good chance you will fail the next as well, and so on. Repeat offenders, I expect, will be treated more seriously than a one-off. We will see soon with Everton, I suppose.

Note I've edited that post you've - getting mixed up between points and pounds :)

Should read:
Masters recommended a 10 point deduction to the panel. He used the EFL criteria as a basis for the recommendation. It was something like 6 points fixed for the breach and 1 point for each £5mil over. CBA looking that bit up.

The panel told him to fuck off because it wasn't in the rules and then went ahead using their discretion and came up with the same 10 point deduction

I've now looked it up and that is what Masters proposed. If it was in the rules that would mean 6+20 points for a breach of £100 million and not neccessarily relegation
So again, a club would have to weigh up if it was a risk worth taking, & what Masters proposed is still subject to the panel's discretion?

Thing is: if you fail for one three year period, there is a pretty good chance you will fail the next as well, and so on. Repeat offenders, I expect, will be treated more seriously than a one-off. We will see soon with Everton, I suppose.
But let's say you bought a squad you wouldn't need to add to for 2-3 seasons, so saved that season's transfer budget, PL/CL money & any prize money earned, wouldn't that approach make it a risk worth considering?

It is a dangerous game to play but, yes, a club could weigh up if it was a price worth paying.

Projectriver's case theory for Chelsea was they regarded a financial penalty as a "cost of doing business" and was what they likely expected for a breach.

The Everton case has potentially thrown that out of the window because the expectation now is a points deduction.

Everton, iirc, were punished heavily because they didn't take FFP seriously despite repeated warnings. Chelsea on the other hand, have been a good FFP citizen by spending a billion in two years, trying to get around amortisation rules with stupid contracts and .... hang on a minute ......

But let's say you bought a squad you wouldn't need to add to for 2-3 seasons, so saved that season's transfer budget, PL/CL money & any prize money earned, wouldn't that approach make it a risk worth considering?

It's not the transfer budget they get hit with, it's the wages and amortisation on contracts. Once invested, that repeats every year.

Edit: at the end of the day, the only way to comply with FFP if you want to invest is increase revenues to offset the annual cost of the investment. That's why losing CL money will screw Chelsea.

Last edited:
So they'd need to get 60 points to stay up, with a far superior squad for the following season?

But they won't get top four the champs league money players won't want to go to a midtable team who have been docked 20 points or even 10 sponsors won't be the good to! The red shirts thought it all through

Yes on both counts.
Mmmmm... Interesting (strokes chin).

I'd piss myself laughing if a club said "Fuck you! We're spending what we like & damn the consequences".

As long as they weren't relegated, they'd advance quicker & further acting this way than trying to adhere to prohibitive FFP rules over several seasons & having their best players picked off by bigger clubs.

Yes!

Masters recommended a 10 point deduction to the panel. He used the EFL criteria as a basis for the recommendation. It was something like 6 points fixed for the breach and 1 point for each £5mil over. CBA looking that bit up.

The panel told him to fuck off because it wasn't in the rules and then went ahead using their discretion and came up with the same 10 point deduction.

Every 5m over the 105m allowed it's a a 3 point deduction

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.