Spurs (A) | FA Cup | Post Match Thread

I was more than nervous in the days leading up to the match and at kick off I felt I had that hang dog look of the long suffering City fan - after more than 15 years of the Sheikh and Khaldoon and more than 7 of "win the lot" Pep!! For the first 15 minutes I watched in disbelief and thought (how daring!) "Mmm, we're doing well!" but still thought it would probably be the prelude losing to a careless goal. A disallowed goal ... chances come and go ... Alvarez shot deflected wide ... KdB misses a sitter (!!!) - all this points to a late Spurs smash and grab! But then cometh the hour ... and a lad we all thought had come to be our fourth choice centre back and the hoodoo is gone. How elated and foolish I felt!

Then, a bit later, I looked at the match stats. This wasn't even a comfortable victory - this was domination. Spurst one shot all match: City 18 shots. This was not "typical City" losing to a last minute own goal, Middlesboro's only shot! This was Pep Guardiola's majestic Manchester City, champions of the world.

As for Spurs, how refreshing to hear a manager who doesn't whine about ref decisions and look for excuses. He's well on the way to creating a side that isn't at all Spursy, and that's no mean feat.
Similar feelings last night, was good to see a team try to emulate City's style of play rather than sit back and wait for a mistake/catch us on the break, which only went to show just how well our boys played.

Going to be another cracking end to the season I can feel it in my bones :-) Peps got everything coming to the boil at exactly the right time.

Peps front three starts were Bobb, Alvarez and Foden, three youngsters who ran, chased, pressed and harried the big Spurs defence until they ran out of steam and started to make mistakes.

KdB was brought on when there was more time and space to influence the game and Doku with his pace to run at and beyond the Spuds back line. Doku lost the ball several times around their goal line but stood watching or jogged back instead of sprinting and fighting to recover the ball. No excuse even when coming back from injury. Probably his worst game for us.
Thought Doku redeemed himself a bit by keeping the ball in the corner for the last few minutes and winning a succession of corners to see the game out. We haven’t been doing that effectively for a while

Considering the time and the travel restrictions our fans are exceptional and the away support is always fantastic despite the FA and premier league doing their best with crazy kick off times to ruin the game
14 hour round trip, M1 was a nightmare journey back, closed near MK and diverted around an industrial estate, worth the trip in the end just to see us score…

We play much better football without Haaland, here, I said it!
At this point, I'm not sure how anyone can refute this. Obviously, I'd rather win than play pretty football, but we're certainly more entertaining to watch without the Viking, IMO.

Peps front three starts were Bobb, Alvarez and Foden, three youngsters who ran, chased, pressed and harried the big Spurs defence until they ran out of steam and started to make mistakes.

KdB was brought on when there was more time and space to influence the game and Doku with his pace to run at and beyond the Spuds back line. Doku lost the ball several times around their goal line but stood watching or jogged back instead of sprinting and fighting to recover the ball. No excuse even when coming back from injury. Probably his worst game for us.
Doku has all the talent & potential in the world, but if he doesn't cure this aspect of his game under Pep, I doubt he'll last that long here.

He's young & it's his first season in a new country, playing for a CL club who expect him to deliver. Hopefully he'll take this season to adjust & get used to how we play.

City defend from the front, & like you say it was painfully noticeable that after losing the ball he either stood there, or made a half-hearted jog in the general direction of the ball. He must improve.

Goldbridge has been venting his spleen about the goal this morning. Last night we saw City score a goal at WHL, we saw City win at Spurs and this morning to hear Goldbridge on the verge of bursting a blood vessel and knowing those lemmings will lap it up just makes it all the more enjoyable. Best of luck, Newport.

At this point, I'm not sure how anyone can refute this. Obviously, I'd rather win than play pretty football, but we're certainly more entertaining to watch without the Viking, IMO.
I've noticed Haaland putting in more physical effort this season, & his touch & close passing has vastly improved, but he's still got a way to go.

If he wants to know the football levels he needs to get to, he only has to study Kane, who's a brilliant baller as well as being a supreme goal scorer.

The difference with & without Erling is with him we're setup for him to score. Without him, we know the goals have to come from elsewhere meaning we setup differently, with Julian or Foden playing as a No 9/No 10 hybrid, or essentially a false 9.

Hopefully Haaland will evolve his game to suit our way of playing, rather than the other way around.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.