Liverpool Thread - 2023/24

They don’t have any understanding of how their club got to dominate English football and with the investment put in by Littlewoods to get them out of the old second division. They did that in an era where you could spend as much as you like and you didn’t have 5 other clubs plotting against you to make up rules to curb how much money the owner could invest.

They were there when they carved up the Premier League tv deal where Liverpool, United, Arsenal, Spurs and Everton managed to get 15 percent whilst the likes of City, Chelsea, Ipswich, Oldham Athletic got 10 percent. They have been scheming to load the dice in their favour for well over 30 odd years. Their cultist supporters don’t have the acumen to ask the question where has all this extra tv money gone? Not to mention they monopolised the extended format of the champions league by qualifying pretty much every season in the 2000s.

Then they were at it again back in April 2021, Uefa’s car crash of an attempt to try and ban us from the champions league went down in flames, so Fenway sports were plotting with the Glazers and Florentino Perez to form a Super league as Uefa hadn’t done what they had asked to be done to City.

Every power play to gain a foothold over top level professional football in Europe their grubby hands are all over it. Thing is nothing they have tried so far as resulted in a sustain period of success, one premier league title in 30 odd years is pitiful for the most decorated team in English football. All their trophies were won when they had a financial advantage over everyone else. They don’t like it now a bigger fish rocks up and breaks their club so much that the owners would take a sale if anyone stumped up their money and bridesmaid Klopp can’t hack being destroyed by City every season. Their only hope is to cling onto some 115 charges, if they were really happening I don’t think Klopp would be getting off.
The football imbecile at work claimed that you couldn’t compare Littlewoods' investment with Ours, as they didn’t spend millions like we did.

There was no telling him.

The football imbecile at work claimed that you couldn’t compare Littlewoods' investment with Ours, as they didn’t spend millions like we did.

There was no telling him.
Twas ever thus!

A few years back I tried to get a fix on the Littlewoods effect on both Liverpool and Everton from the late 50s onwards. Try this on the work imbecile, see if it registers, not least the fact that we are 65 years on from that Littlewoods effect!
=======================

"It is really difficult to find financial statements on record for English clubs prior to 1974.

I’ve never been able to find any annual statement of accounts for the late 50s. But using the published accounts for 1974 (when the Football League archives begin on record), Everton turned over approximately £1M and Liverpool (FA Cup winners that year) turned over £1.4M in that year's trading. I used the Bank of England’s inflation adjustment thingy to get an approximate value as at 1959 for those turnover values.

The turnovers of both clubs in 1974, as with every club in football, came largely from gate receipts, programme sales, club shops and transfer profits and losses. Until recent years, even the biggest of our clubs weren’t actually that big in terms of ackers generated etc. A standard Tesco store, say, would’ve been much, much bigger than any top class football club.

So, here’s the point. When John Moores, his family and the ciphers he placed into both clubs began investing into Everton and Liverpool, the money provided

(a) a £50k cash injection into Everton along with an open-ended personal guarantor offer from Moores to underwrite the club’s future transfer activity and

(b) a huge, continuing injection into Liverpool’s transfer funds, enabling the purchases of Ian St John, Ron Yeats, Peter Thompson, Geoff Strong etc)

thus pushing a mid-table outfit that was Everton shortly after regaining First Division status and a struggling Second Division outfit that was Liverpool, both towards the upper echelon of the Football League.

This investment underpinned the team building undertaken by newly installed Harry Catterick (from Sheffield Wednesday) at Everton and Bill Shankly (from Huddersfield) at Liverpool.

And even with my 'fag-packet calculation', the sums of money injected into both clubs were at the very least a boost of 25% per year to their respective turnovers in 1959, when both clubs were struggling financially and on the pitch

I’d argue it was more like a 40% initial boost, if you could get hold of the actual company turnover figure for both clubs - imagine that level of boost for any club nowadays, given the money awash in the modern Premier League!

Within a couple of years, both clubs would win the First Division league championship and the FA Cup for the first time in ages (or even ever, as in Liverpool’s cup win in 1965.

It's all relative. To dine at the top table of football has always required huge sums of money, whatever the era. Both Merseyside giants got a massive helping hand from the Moores family and Littlewoods, however you calculate it.

And it wasn’t for nothing that Everton took over Sunderland’s 1950s mantle of being known as ‘The Bank Of England Club’.."

Last edited:
Twas ever thus!

A few years back I tried to get a fix on the Littlewoods effect on both Liverpool and Everton from the late 50s onwards. Try this on the work imbecile, see if it registers, not least the fact that we are 65 years on from that Littlewoods effect!
=======================

"It is really difficult to find financial statements on record for English clubs prior to 1974.

I’ve never been able to find any annual statement of accounts for the late 50s. But using the published accounts for 1974 (when the Football League archives begin on record), Everton turned over approximately £1M and Liverpool (FA Cup winners that year) turned over £1.4M in that year's trading. I used the Bank of England’s inflation adjustment thingy to get an approximate value as at 1959 for those turnover values.

The turnovers of both clubs in 1974, as with every club in football, came largely from gate receipts, programme sales, club shops and transfer profits and losses. Until recent years, even the biggest of our clubs weren’t actually that big in terms of ackers generated etc. A standard Tesco store, say, would’ve been much, much bigger than any top class football club.

So, here’s the point. When John Moores, his family and the ciphers he placed into both clubs began investing into Everton and Liverpool, the money provided

(a) a £50k cash injection into Everton along with an open-ended personal guarantor offer from Moores to underwrite the club’s future transfer activity and

(b) a huge, continuing injection into Liverpool’s transfer funds, enabling the purchases of Ian St John, Ron Yeats, Peter Thompson, Geoff Strong etc)

thus pushing a mid-table outfit that was Everton shortly after regaining First Division status and a struggling Second Division outfit that was Liverpool, both towards the upper echelon of the Football League.

This investment underpinned the team building undertaken by newly installed Harry Catterick (from Sheffield Wednesday) at Everton and Bill Shankly (from Huddersfield) at Liverpool.

And even with my 'fag-packet calculation', the sums of money injected into both clubs were at the very least a boost of 25% per year to their respective turnovers in 1959, when both clubs were struggling financially and on the pitch

I’d argue it was more like a 40% initial boost, if you could get hold of the actual company turnover figure for both clubs - imagine that level of boost for any club nowadays, given the money awash in the modern Premier League!

Within a couple of years, both clubs would win the First Division league championship and the FA Cup for the first time in ages (or even ever, as in Liverpool’s cup win in 1965.

It's all relative. To dine at the top table of football has always required huge sums of money, whatever the era. Both Merseyside giants got a massive helping hand from the Moores family and Littlewoods, however you calculate it.

And it wasn’t for nothing that Everton took over Sunderland’s 1950s mantle of being known as ‘The Bank Of England Club’.."
If the Moores family and Littlewoods pools had financial interests and investments in both Liverpool and Everton at the same time why didn't the FA and Football League investigate them for at least conflict of interest and possible corruption/collusion of results in matches involving them.

Probably because they were shit scared of losing a cut from the pools money however miniscule that would have been.

Football was as corrupt then as it is perceived now.

The seismic change to English football came about because the rags and the dippers -amongst others- wanted it: enter the Premier League.
Alongside the new league came the most powerful broadcasting company ever to dominate televised football in this country: enter Sly Sports.

The rags, more than any other club before or since, were the major beneficiaries of this new-found wealth and influence: they could (and did) buy the best player in every position, no other Prem club could compete with the rags when it came to buying players. The cartel was born.
An immensely unlikeable Scottish bully-boy was in charge of Sly Sports' favourite toy and was thus given free rein to do whatever he chose to do with the tacit approval of the Premier League. This snarling, ill-bred authoritarian would spit venom and ugly, foul-mouthed abuse to referees, their linesmen, and any other soul unfortunate enough to disagree with him. His club were favoured by all and sundry, especially those at Sly Sports. His club were given an endless supply of money to ensure they stayed at the top of the pyramid for as long as Rupert Murdoch's men wanted them there.

Approximately 30 years down the line the status quo remains relatively undisturbed. Yes, we joined the likes of Chelsea by having an obscenely rich benefactor come to our rescue, but unlike Chelsea we had a legitimate mega-wealthy oil baron to fund our success, not some shadowy figure with connections to a network of criminal oligarchs operating undercover somewhere within the bowels of the Kremlin - like some kind of latter-day Magwich.

But like most other clubs that make up the Premier League, we are pretty much cold-shouldered by Sly Sports and the broadcasting media in general.
In many parts of Europe we are respected and well liked because of our footballing philosophy and the way our club has flourished under our owners. People congratulate us for the way the Sheik has used his own money to galvanise the Etihad and the entire surrounding areas.

Contrast this with the hostility, repulsion and animosity we appear to receive from the British media day in day out.
Book marked for truth and posterity.

Bingo and the Footballing Tom Daley have won the Manager and Player of the Month awards !!!!
Where do they put all these trophies ?
Wtaf??? I thought Peps January win record was better than Bingo's?? I voted for Pep.

As for Kev it is reprehensible he has missed out yet again. I voted for him.

Only one way this PL is going this year and it has a L postcode....the powers that be ( aka corrupt entities) will make damn certain of that....

Reactions: PPT
I guess excessive use of inhalers damages hamstrings. Alison out with a hamstring injury

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.