The anti road cycling thread

Why is that a problem?

Just plan your overtake accordingly.

The width of the road is the width of the road and thus common sense should dictate how one should operate. Like when fuck nut car drivers think their side of the road belongs to them. So if they see a car lorry bus tractor wide load coming they just hug that white line.

If a cyclist stays left(not kerb hugging before someone starts) it will give the motorist more room to overtake wider and often earlier. I mean cyclists would prefer to be rid of a vehicle behind yes?

The width of the road is the width of the road and thus common sense should dictate how one should operate. Like when fuck nut car drivers think their side of the road belongs to them. So if they see a car lorry bus tractor wide load coming they just hug that white line.

If a cyclist stays left(not kerb hugging before someone starts) it will give the motorist more room to overtake wider and often earlier. I mean cyclists would prefer to be rid of a vehicle behind yes?
Hence the "wait for a safe and opportune moment to overtake" part.

I can count on one hand the number of times i've seen drivers give way to other drivers following behind them by "staying left" as you put it.

I think this might stem from a position of vulnerability compared to a motorist and 'senses' are heightened when you are atop yer saddle with cars passing. There's one point on roads where I am particularly aware and that is where you have a central refuge often with a green lane at the gutter with a white bike sign. I think the set up is to warn drivers that it isn't particularly a good idea to overtake the cyclist at this point. But there's more than a handful that do! And you can touch the car if you had a mind to as it passes!

People live in bubbles, their journey is the most important, their right to get somewhere quicker without hassle is paramount. 90% of threads on here could just be titled aren't humans very fucking selfish and odd.

I think this might stem from a position of vulnerability compared to a motorist and 'senses' are heightened when you are atop yer saddle with cars passing. There's one point on roads where I am particularly aware and that is where you have a central refuge often with a green lane at the gutter with a white bike sign. I think the set up is to warn drivers that it isn't particularly a good idea to overtake the cyclist at this point. But there's more than a handful that do! And you can touch the car if you had a mind to as it passes!
I tend to get a bit sensitive about people putting my life in danger, either through ignorance, stupidity or malice (yes some people are deliberately cnuts).

Hence the "wait for a safe and opportune moment to overtake" part.

I can count on one hand the number of times i've seen drivers give way to other drivers following behind them by "staying left" as you put it.

Err the safe and opportune moment can come earlier, that was the whole point ya daft donk. God you have a blind side on this. It seems to even mess with your reading comprehension.

At least he pushed in front of you and then actually went fast

In conclusion, people are pricks.
That's the thing mate, he was pedalling like he was being chased by a pack of wolves, I was casually cruising along 10 yards behind, if he hadn't jumped in like a twat he wouldn't have had to kill himself to keep his ego topped up. The pricks normalised themselves long ago.

Err the safe and opportune moment can come earlier, that was the whole point ya daft donk. God you have a blind side on this. It seems to even mess with your reading comprehension.
You seem very sensitive to people criticising car drivers.

"The safe and opportune moment can come earlier" Maybe in the drivers mind, but not in the cyclists whose safety is paramount, hence why they didn't/don't "stay left". If a cyclist isn't moving over don't automatically assume they are being deliberately stubborn. There could be parked cars up ahead and they have to account for the door zone. There could be a side junction where an impatient driver could just dart out in front of them. There could be potholes you haven't seen yet and they need to swerve around it.

Ideally, if drivers could stop with the whole "cyclists shouldn't be in the middle of the road!" attitude, and accept they have every right to be there as much as they do, there wouldn't be any need for these sorts of threads. You don't have to drive at exactly 30 or 20, it's the 'limit' not the expected speed.

Last edited:

The closer a cyclist is to the kerb the more it encourages a poor driver to make a dangerously unsafe overtake. This is where a lot of inexperienced cyclists come unstuck. A driver isn't going to swerve into an oncoming vehicle if they screw up their overtake.

Taking prime position at pinch points and junctions discourages poor overtakes and makes you more visible to motorists joining the carriageway.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.