Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2, Episode 17 - Alcohol - Mancitydoogle (pg 344)

I would not have had you down for that one. You, Mr Bimbo are an enigma.

Thomas Dolby did a fair bit of session work including the synths on Heaven is a Place on Earth by Belinda Carlisle. Beyond that sort of stuff he's had a hell of a career, fingers in so many pies. Production, tech companies, academia and all sorts. There's not that many musicians/pop stars I'd be that bothered about meeting but I reckon he would be a really interesting bloke to sit down with for an hour or two.
One of my keyboard heroes. He's playing Manchester in August.

My third choice is a dreamy rock affair with added Thomas Dolby.

Waiting For A Girl Like You - Foreigner
Hah, I suppose "Waiting" is about time. Would never have thought of that angle, but I'm glad you did because it gives me the chance to nominate this song.

As I'm always banging on about how Tom Petty is underappreciated on these forums, I'll nominate his best song. Is there a better example of guitar-intro-verse-chorus-bridge-outro than ......

"The Waiting" - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

Hah, I suppose "Waiting" is about time. Would never have thought of that angle, but I'm glad you did because it gives me the chance to nominate this song.

As I'm always banging on about how Tom Petty is underappreciated on these forums, I'll nominate his best song. Is there a better example of guitar-intro-verse-chorus-bridge-outro than ......

Someone had already picked Seasons(waiting for you) before me so I thought I was on safe ground!!

Can never decide whether to do something people might not be familiar with or go with an old classic that maybe people haven't listened to in a while.

Sinatra did an album, September of My Years, the entire theme of which is time. Some classics on it like It Was A Very Good Year.

The, imo, joint best Bond theme is a song focussing on time too.

Given I'm hosting all kinds of Blue Moon playlists these days, I nearly mistakenly added it to "BimboBob's Love". ;-)

Nice selection, Rob, one of my favorites of his early works. Love Petty's vocals on that one, very distinct and somewhat Dylan-esque.

Last edited:
Ha, that should be considered for a potential rule. If someone nominates a band you haven't heard of before three times, they are due a proper listen.
Turns out after a proper listen yesterday outside doing yardwork, I've indeed heard a few of their songs before, I just didn't realize it. Probably after an album completed or "(similar band) Radio" on Spotify.

I really like them, and their Spotify "This Is Placebo" was a great way to spend 3+ hours. Not yet ready to rinse and repeat Foggy's selection that much yet, but that will be our secret over here. ;-)

I like the covers they did, and I found another time related song heard for the first time that I think I enjoyed more than the one you put up, but they're both good ones. If only I had another selection before the end... ;-)

I really like Brian Molko's vocals, they are very distinct, and on the songs it really works on, it's a very unique and powerful sound that I really like.

"Too Many Friends" was a big highlight with some well-written and humorous lyrics.

"36 Degrees" is a song I've heard before, just didn't associate it with them. Same with "Post Blue", another good one.

"I Know" and "Protect Me from What I Want" were other great tracks.

A band named Placebo that has lyrics that demandingly sing "I want my medicine (give me my medicine)" in "Happy Birthday in the Sky" is a keeper!

No one has yet gone with a song on the theme of 'closing time' which is a subject beloved of loads of songwriters. Laughing Len has a suitably sardonic one, Lyle Lovett has a more melancholic one and the Cardigans finished one of their albums with quite a mad one. Unsurprisingly Tom Waits has got one. All good stuff. I can't think of one off the top of my head but it wouldn't surprise me if Justin Currie/Del Amitri have one too.

But I'm going to go for the completely obvious one because perversely it's not actually about closing time. I'm going specifically for the Dan Wilson acoustic version because I think stripped back it's more obvious it's lyrics speak to other time related things like leaving a period of your life behind and being (re)born.

Dan Wilson - Closing Time (Acoustic)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.