Real Madrid (A) | CL | Post Match Thread

Let's just hope Walker is back because the Akanji RB scenario ruined our play(not his fault).

After the second goal Stones had to stop pushing up which left Rodri isolated and then saw Haaland left on an absolute island. This wouldn't have happened had Walker been there to deal with the threat on his own.

Kovacic for me was a major problem. Completely at fault for the 3rd goal as he didn't bother tracking it and offered nothing substantial. I know KDB probably would have taken the place but surely at 60 minutes we needed to get legs on the field and even Alvarez could have offered more off the ball.

We should have more than enough for this lot if we can get all fit and energised. They'll be chomping at the bit for the home leg.

Also ,Who'd Bellingham? ;-)

Fair discussion about the match and I struggle to disagree with much of anything they say (aside from Klinsmann’s usual waffling), which is a first for those pundits. Special mention to the discussion of our defensive issues compared to last season, our chances at home (all but Klinsmann have us as favourites), and the bit at the end about Bellingham becoming and entitled “angry young man” over the last few months.

Great result, we are so dodgy at the back but then again two deflected goals means we were unlucky. They are a team I just dislike, if that’s how they act every week in La Liga no wonder they win most years, they get away with the most blatant cheating
Real are so far ahead of the rest of La Liga, they've no reason to put up such an effort on a regular basis, hence why they can save themselves for the Champions League.

City on the other hand have this level of game every other week, such is the strength of the PL. We kept our heads throughout the match, when Real were playing & acting like the club's very existence depended on gaming a win.

They resorted to a low defensive block with eleven players behind the ball, & tried to hit us on the counter with rapier-like attacks... Now where have we seen similar tactics against City before?

It was nothing new. We're used to it.

We weren't tonight, had madrid been able to shoot, we could easily have been 4 or 5-1 down before Phil equalised, some of their efforts were pretty lame.

We had little control in the game despite the possession we had, constantly giving the ball away, only for them to give it back. I've seen comments about how great a game it was, can't say I agreed, both teams gave the ball away a lot.

I thought for long periods we played like we were 2 or 3 players short of 11. I might have to watch it again, to see if I just got taken in by the game, but I didn't think we were anywhere near "awesome" tonight.

Great result in the end.
To be fair, you could just as easily look at Madrid's performance and say they could have been 2-0 down inside the first 10 mins if Grealish had got that shot off earlier that Haaland set up for him. They didn't have any control in the game until Modric came on and spent a lot of it employing tactics that eventually knackered them out.

They were utterly goosed on the hour mark. They'd been snapping at our heels in midfield throughout the first half and Bernardo, Stones, and Rodri struggled. But suddenly Kovacic, Foden, Bernardo, etc. had space to operate in and Madrid weren't chasing at the same speed. That will be in the back of their minds next week.

I thought City were mixed overall - the first half was up and down but the second half was great. We were 2-1 down in the Bernabeau. It doesn't matter if they don't have Benzema or Ronaldo anymore - Madrid is Madrid, if you're behind in that stadium it takes an almighty effort to turn it around. Especially without De Bruyne and Walker.

We've put ourselves in a cracking position for the second leg and that's all you can really ask for away from home in Europe. Madrid's players know it and their fans do too - last night was their chance to get in front and secure themselves something to protect at the Etihad but they've missed a huge, huge opportunity.

Valverde has said it feels like a defeat. Their players were moaning at the referee at full time. You remember when they came to the Etihad in 2022 and lost 4-3, but they celebrated that Benzema penalty like "Yeah, no stress, we've won this". Compare that to their attitude last night - they know they're in a proper fight this year.

We weren't awesome all night but we were in the second half - good enough to put the shitters up them, at least. Doesn't matter how much money we've spent or what we've won, going to the Bernabeau is a fucking nightmare. Along with Anfield it's the stadium I hate going to the most but I wasn't remotely worried last night.

I’ve just watched the goals again and the build up to them as well. I’m, once again, awestruck by this team. I don’t just mean the 11 on the pitch but the whole team at the stadium. The reaction of them all when Phil ( he’s one of our own) Foden scored was brilliant. They all ran towards him, KDB, Ederson, Pep and numerous others. The same when Gvardiol scored. Plus it looked as if they wanted KDB to be involved in the celebrations as if as a compensation.
They are a unit and their togetherness shines through. So brightly in fact that every game my awareness of this is enhanced.
Maybe I’m going OTT on them but this is MANCHESTER CITY THE BEST TEAM IN THE LAND AND ALL THE WORLD and they are the team I am proud to support. :-)

Let's just hope Walker is back because the Akanji RB scenario ruined our play(not his fault).

After the second goal Stones had to stop pushing up which left Rodri isolated and then saw Haaland left on an absolute island. This wouldn't have happened had Walker been there to deal with the threat on his own.

Kovacic for me was a major problem. Completely at fault for the 3rd goal as he didn't bother tracking it and offered nothing substantial. I know KDB probably would have taken the place but surely at 60 minutes we needed to get legs on the field and even Alvarez could have offered more off the ball.

We should have more than enough for this lot if we can get all fit and energised. They'll be chomping at the bit for the home leg.

Also ,Who'd Bellingham? ;-)
Not sure about the 3rd RM goal being anyone's fault. It was a superb strike - only Gvardiol picking Valverde up on the left as he got into the box could have done anything about it (and he wasn't particularly marking anyone for the cross - just blocking space at the far post, as is usual for our cross defence - though he could have got to Valverde if he had tried to control the ball).
Sometimes you just have to appreciate a great stike.

Apparently City have made a request to UEFA with regard to the the roof being kept open for the second leg. UEFA have yet to respond.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.