Luton Town (H) | PL | Post Match Thread

And then there was 6 games remaining .... squeaky bum time and just need to churn out dem results ... straightforward win with plenty rested and result was never in doubt ... GD improved and next 2 games in Champs Lge quarter followed by FA cup semi ... how good is it to be a blue right now

Good first half but made hard work of it in front of goal. A few players spurning a clear chance to shoot and others releasing shots that were more like training shots for the keeper.
Second half stepped it up a bit, Doku was fantastic, so positive and I was pleased he got such a lovely goal to show for his efforts.
Gvardiol continues to impress, another great strike from him, showing a number of others how to do it.
Akanji also had a pretty solid game and Kovacic played well too, good goal from him.

IMG-20240413-WA0017.jpg

Count Doku!!!

It wasn't a vintage performance, but it was a totally dominant one where we managed to do what we needed for the win, increasing our goal difference in the process, whilst resting several players. All in all, it was a good afternoon.

We had a great, if fortuitous start with a very early goal via a wicked deflection from a Haaland effort. Was that the God's apologising for giving two deflections against us vs Real?

Luton played a 5-5 formation with the intention of keeping the goal difference down, in the hope of snatching something on the break. It was tough getting through the low defensive block, & the game & mood at the ground reflected Luton's stubborn resistance, which held out until half time.

IMG-20240413-WA0014.jpg

Luton kept up their stubborn defensive resistance, until the ball found it's way to Kovacic from a corner, for a brilliant volley from outside the area to double our lead.

IMG-20240413-WA0019.jpg

We kept on pressing & my MoTM Doku kept torturing the Luton defence. He dribbled & jinked his way into the box, bamboozling the Hatter's defence, & drew the foul for a penalty, which Haaland dispatched with brutal efficiency for our third.

IMG-20240413-WA0012(1).jpg

We then had a ropey 5 minutes. A pass from the returning Ederson which was a bit strong & slightly miscontrolled by Nunes, allowed Barkley to nip in, beat a defender & slot past the retreating Ederson for 3-1.

We got back on it & Doku continued to taunt the Luton defence. He twisted & turned their defence inside out, shifted the ball to his right & curled in a brilliant fourth to restore our three goal advantage.

Gvardiol rounded off a decent win with another curling rocket from outside the box to seal the comfortable 5-1 win.

0_GettyImages-2148514990.jpg

There were decent performances all round, from Doku, KDB & Gvardiol in particular.

Nunes showed some decent flashes, but I still maintain the only use I can see him being is as part of a double pivot in matches like this, as he doesn't excel at anything else in particular. With Pep preferring a smaller squad, we need better than average players, as opposed to squad fillers which Matheus has mostly been.

Kovacic was decent throughout, as was a more defensively disciplined Rico. I thought the ref showed leniency toward Luton, where Barkley should've got a booking for impeding Ederson & he should've had a closer look at Haaland's penalty claim.

Gutted we conceded a needless goal, & couldn't get a sixth, but we've done what we needed to do, increased or goal difference by four, had no injuries & rested key players for Wednesday.

Job done, roll on Real Madrid...

Never going to happen. He seems cursed! Typically him that lost the ball for their goal as well I think. Tries so hard and does so much right but just isn't really happening for him.

Excellent performance all round though. The very least we deserved. It was an enjoyable watch and a welcome 3 points. Kovacic and Doku were my picks of a very good bunch.
I see a very good player and I hope he gains some confidence and relax and smash it next season.

Terrific performance against a pretty depleted opponent. Ideal preparation for Wednesday.

Big hand to Doku today who I've criticised in the past but really brought it today and got a great goal as a bonus.

We controlled that from the word go, even if it took a while for the ball to start falling right in the 18-yard box.

Regardless of what people have thought of him, I’m glad Gvardiol is getting the plaudits. There’s a hell of a player there. He’ll make mistakes but he’s a young man playing his first season under Pep in a position not natural to him.

With that said, great that the goals went in. GD will be key. Kova, Doku and a few others really did well. On to the next one.

Oh, and Rodri got a rest. Happy days
Gvardiol is getting better and better with each game. He just quietly gets on with it and appears to have now developed a taste for goal. I suspect he he seen others attempts and thought 'I can do better than that!' and he has.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.