Golf Thread

There's been a lot of statistical analysis of golf in recent years and whereas short game and putting are maybe good for quick wins major improvements in golf are usually from improvements in the long game.
For a high handicapper , like he obvious is, to get down from 100 to 85 a round your best bet is to cut out the three / 4 putts and getting up and down a few times.

For 10 handicappers to get down to a low handicap you need to improve on your length. This where I struggle. I am consistent and straight but struggle at Par 4s over 400 yards.

Faldo and Montgomerie are ALLEGEDLY another couple of twats.
Not allegedly with Faldo. He is an out and out Wanker.

Monty is one of the elitists. I’m sure his father is a past Captain at Troon

I left my last club due to the elitist bullshit. I’m all for the traditions and happy with golfing etiquette but some people are so far up their own arses it ruins it for the majority

Aberg what a 12 months. The boy has talent
And the correct temperament which is huge in golf.

I had a few pounds on Morikawa at 45/1 so he gave me a wee run for my money. I watched it until he went in the water at the 11th. Nice to see him back competing.

So much for Woods talking up his chances of winning this weekend. 16 over, including his worst ever round in a major (82 yesterday). Sometimes it pays to simply keep your trap shut.

Tiger had a better tournament than pretty much everyone except Scheffler and Aberg.

Quite apart from the fact he's playing with fused vertebrae and 2 completely destroyed knees, one ankle (and a permanent limp from almost having his leg amputated) and has absolutely no business playing professional golf, he's still played better golf and finished higher than pre-tournament favourites and current major holders/top 10 players like Wyndham Clark, Hovland, Harman, Spieth.

To do that after being made to play 27 holes on 1 day? Incredible. You can see he's in severe pain just walking around the course, and he still hit some of the best shots of the week.

Woods is a bit like Murray at the moment. To casual fans they might be lessening their legacy by carrying on playing past the time they can realistically compete for majors, but to their fellow players and people that watch every week, what both of them are doing is massively adding to their legends.

Last edited:
Finished last of those who made the cut, I think?
As pointed out previously. He has now made 24 cuts at The Masters. The most in the history of the competition. A phenomenal achievement for all the reasons listed above.

Tiger is a true great of the Sport and arguably changed golf , for the better, more than any other individual

For a high handicapper , like he obvious is, to get down from 100 to 85 a round your best bet is to cut out the three / 4 putts and getting up and down a few times.
This is actually unlikely.

There is a bloke called Mark Broadie who has analysed golf statistically and whose statistical analysis is now used by the majority of serious tournament professionals and many amateurs to analyse their own games.

One of his findings was that at all levels of golf the difference between a groups of players at two different levels was essentially two thirds due to the long game (Outside 100 yds Driving, irons etc) and one third due to the short game chipping pitching putting sand shots etc.

This was true between 100 shooters and 90 shooters 90 shooters and scratch ,scratch and professional golfers tournament golfers and elite tournament golfers etc.
Applying the two thirds/ one third rule to get from 100 to 85 ie 15 strokes implies that one can also gain 30 strokes from the long game for a total of 45 shots ie becoming a 65 shooter which to do regularly even on ordinary courses is verging on tournament level pro golf.
Not saying he should not work on his short game but the long game will for many have more room for improvement and whereas it can be length As a high shooter it is as likely to be consistency of strike, avoiding losing the ball a few more times and duffing it a few more times.

This is actually unlikely.

There is a bloke called Mark Broadie who has analysed golf statistically and whose statistical analysis is now used by the majority of serious tournament professionals and many amateurs to analyse their own games.

One of his findings was that at all levels of golf the difference between a groups of players at two different levels was essentially two thirds due to the long game (Outside 100 yds Driving, irons etc) and one third due to the short game chipping pitching putting sand shots etc.

This was true between 100 shooters and 90 shooters 90 shooters and scratch ,scratch and professional golfers tournament golfers and elite tournament golfers etc.
Applying the two thirds/ one third rule to get from 100 to 85 ie 15 strokes implies that one can also gain 30 strokes from the long game for a total of 45 shots ie becoming a 65 shooter which to do regularly even on ordinary courses is verging on tournament level pro golf.
Not saying he should not work on his short game but the long game will for many have more room for improvement and whereas it can be length As a high shooter it is as likely to be consistency of strike, avoiding losing the ball a few more times and duffing it a few more times.

The problem with recommending amateur golfers work on their short game is that putting and short game is what goes first when you stop playing.

If you only play once a week, you’re probably barely keeping your short game sharp. Less than that and it’s going backwards.

So you can work all summer on your short game and by next year you’re almost back at square one.

But if you get spend the time and money to get taught a reliable, technically strong swing, you can go away for 4 months over the winter and it’ll be back in an hour or so at the range and you can always have a good and fun round.

Having a great short game is completely useless if you’re hitting your approach shots from the rough or the next fairway over anyway.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.