Real Madrid post match post mortem

I'm not that bothered about last night. We were the better team and lost on penalties after having 33 shots on goal to their 8. That is knockout football. That said , it was Shit defending for their goal.
I just hope the physical exhaustion is not too much for us to recover for the Chelsea game
Agree, my thoughts exactly. As you say just hope it hasn't taken too much out of the players physically and mentally. Also pray this match doesn't go to extra time and penalties as well. If it did I think it could seriously affect our premier league form.

For me it just didn’t go our way, so much possession, so many shots, just didn’t get the rub of the green this time, and RM are experts at defending

With a nod Jose’s comments about Chelsea circa 2014, Madrid played like the little horse last night.

We’ve come along way. Let’s take the remaining trinkets available to us this season, and run.

Anyone think the ref got in the way of our passing lanes and potential through balls multiple times last night? Thought we had to change direction multiple times as he was a 12th man. Apologies if someone’s already mentioned this.

I mentioned it earlier that i said to a mate while watching it that the refs positioning blocked passing opportunities multiple times.

Would make a decent back up for Rodri.

Could, should have won but a lot of chickens from the season came home to roost last night.
  • Too many players not at their best - KDB, Haaland and Bernardo, and even Rodri, well below their standards of last season.
  • Poor execution when in good positions. In the first half KDB got the ball to the byline in what you could say is our signature move, but put the ball too close to the keeper. Bernardo barely delivered a decent ball and there was one spell of a few minutes where he under-hit a ball across goal, then massively over-hit one a couple of minutes later. KDB's shot on 80 minutes, would would probably have sealed the tie.
  • Insipid attacking football with too little intensity or imagination. Trying to thread delicate little passes through a wall of 5 RM players instead of having a shot. Some really poor decision making last night. Just have a shot occasionally. We dis show intensity in the second half of the 90 and first half of ET but were let doen by our decisions and actions around the RM area.
  • Something I've noticed for a while but we were talking about last night was how often we're in a 50/50, or even 60/40 situation with a loose ball and fail to come away with it. There's a worrying lack of commitment when looking to win he ball. Doku, Kovacic, Foden and Haaland (and others) were all guilty of that quite badly at some point. We were seeing a lot of second ball but often giving it away far too easily.
  • Our goals to chances ratio. At least we got a good number of shots on target last night but most were far too easily dealt with by the keeper.
In the lead up to the game and for most of the 90 minutes, I just didn't feel the excitement that I should have for a CL QF against Real Madrid. We are nowhere near the levels of last season, let alone the Centurions or Fourmidable seasons.
If we win the league it will be a amazing achievement. I agree we're no longer looking like sharks when we're out of possession but its to be expected after winning 5 trophies.
Wembley Saturday
Keep the faith CTID

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.