VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It was wrong on several levels. The lino flagged, and therefore Akanji stopped running. Remember? VAR just froze and let the farce continue. Possibly one of the worst decisions ever in PL history.
You okay to the whistle though, it was offside but Akanji should’ve carried on then let VAR decide

I did try to step frame through it and the narrow view makes it difficult to use the video as conclusive proof. The opposite motion of the players involved really does complicate things.

But I still maintain the Conventry player could have actually been onside and the current offside system is not accurate enough to determine he was off, so he should have been ruled onside.

And that’s not just because of the limitations of the assessment system, but also because by the letter of the law he should have been given the advantage.

I also think the clip I used shows the moment the ball was played is better and somebody with some skills of video editing could run both clips and pause it

At no point was Wan-Bissaka running back or holding the line, he was running towards his own goal, Even if you are using the Official replay it still looks onside, Would be good if you could run both videos at the same time and it should show that he is onside,

Plus the official replay they always but out is blurry and from a high angle so when you zoom in it is impossible to see the red and blue lines clearly, But somebody zoomed in and the boots of Wan-Bissaka under the lines ???

Yes - that's what I said. Wan-Bissaka was running back towards his own goal, whereas the Coventry player wasn't, so at the point the ball was played it's a very different picture.

Showing them both at once would be interesting as it would show just how misleading the tiktok crowd video is.

I dissagree, it is VARs job to ask him to go to the monitor surely and check what happened.? As it was an error leading up to a goal.
If you remember the fall out, Webb spoke and said that technically it wasn’t necessarily offside in accordance with the laws, but was against the spitIt of the game.

Once the referee was adamant that Rashford hadn’t interfered with play, there is nothing the VAR can do.

Anyway, this has been done to death and I’m not spending another evening debating it! Come on Chelsea.

Yes - that's what I said. Wan-Bissaka was running back towards his own goal, whereas the Coventry player wasn't, so at the point the ball was played it's a very different picture.

Showing them both at once would be interesting as it would show just how misleading the tiktok crowd video is.
Or, alternatively, how close the decision actually was, if not perhaps calling in to question the VAR decision entirely (i.e. VAR used the wrong frame for final pass reference, and/or drew the lines incorrectly).

But, as I said earlier in the thread, without a wider angle showing all three players (passer, defender, and attacker) at once, the crowd video can’t really be used to make any sort of estimation from that other side.

Even if we had the wider angle, without spatial mapping software, we couldn’t accurately draw the lines, either.

Still, it would be great to have an angle from that side to get a sense of whether the potential distortion from the other side played a part.

VAR washed their hands of it when it couldn't have been more obvious that the officials had fucked up, which is one of the PRIME REASONS for having VAR in the first place.

You’re wrong. The VAR does not have it in his remit to enforce his own opinion over the referee’s opinion in matters of subjectivity. No matter how much he may disagree with the on field decision.

That’s one of the core objectives of VAR, that they are not there to re-referee games.

I dissagree, it is VARs job to ask him to go to the monitor surely and check what happened.? As it was an error leading up to a goal.

You’re fully entitled to disagree with the protocol but as things stands, there is no such thing as a referee being asked or told to “check” his decision. Or “have another look” as you often hear ill informed pundits suggesting.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.