Tim Gudgin

mammyjam

retires today after 60 years. voice of football for my, and many others, entire lives. reminds me of mash and gravy at my grandmas :')

A voice I will forever associate with football, especially when I was a kid. Enjoy your retirement old chap.

just watched the clip on bbc sport. remarkable stuff really

i always find it weird when you associate someones voice without ever seeing their face then when you watch them speak it feels weird

We used to play this gane when listening to the results on the radio , that the tone of voice would tell you if it was a home , away or draw..you had to name home , way , draw before Tim had finished each result

You got the cue for a home win halfway through Tim's naming the away side , with an old fashioned schoolteacher's 'Could do better' inflection

A Draw was similar, with an upbeat home team score, followed by a pleasantly surprised away team naming !!

An away win was usually clear from the moment Tim pronounced the home team's name in a flat tone of voice, then you just knew that the away team's name would scintillate !!

Tim will be , for me , always up there with winter afternoons where Bill Mclaren would be doing the rugby ("This kick wull huv tu be u reel monster" !!)

Pure nostlagia but who gives a shit !!! Happy days !

dom said:
We used to play this gane when listening to the results on the radio , that the tone of voice would tell you if it was a home , away or draw..you had to name home , way , draw before Tim had finished each result

You got the cue for a home win halfway through Tim's naming the away side , with an old fashioned schoolteacher's 'Could do better' inflection

A Draw was similar, with an upbeat home team score, followed by a pleasantly surprised away team naming !!

An away win was usually clear from the moment Tim pronounced the home team's name in a flat tone of voice, then you just knew that the away team's name would scintillate !!

Tim will be , for me , always up there with winter afternoons where Bill Mclaren would be
doing the rugby ("This kick wull huv tu be u reel monster" !!)

Used to play the exact same game, usually with a high success rate!!!

Pure nostlagia but who gives a shit !!! Happy days !

Thought this was a nice story until I saw that the reason he's retired is becasue he didn't want to go to Salford from his home on the South Coast and attacked the BBC for the move there.

As if reading the fucking football results qualifies him to have a say. I respect that some people don't want to make the move for family reasons but at least they have the grace to say that's the reason instead of slagging off the organisation that's given them a good living for many years.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Thought this was a nice story until I saw that the reason he's retired is becasue he didn't want to go to Salford from his home on the South Coast and attacked the BBC for the move there.

As if reading the fucking football results qualifies him to have a say. I respect that some people don't want to make the move for family reasons but at least they have the grace to say that's the reason instead of slagging off the organisation that's given them a good living for many years.

To be fair he's 80 years old and if you are asked to make a 10 hour round trip to do a bit of radio voice work, I'm sure you'd tell them no. Don't see why he can't just do it from his armchair over his phone!!!! ;)

weejh said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

To be fair he's 80 years old and if you are asked to make a 10 hour round trip to do a bit of radio voice work, I'm sure you'd tell them no. Don't see why he can't just do it from his armchair over his phone!!!! ;)
No problem with him saying no (although at 80 years old they shouldn't have given him the choice) but then to say no and slag off the BBC for making the move is out of order. Not like the corporation revolves around him is it?

I get fed up of the Daily Fail's campaign to find every excuse to knock the Salford move. After all, there's far more creative talent up in the North than darn sarf. I mean, name a great London band? The Kinks yes, then you're down to the Dave Clark fucking Five.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.