The Smiths & Morrissey thread

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Juan King said:
Lancet Fluke said:
The whole depressing tag is so tedious, only ever seems to be said by people who have never really listened to them. Their songs weren't frivolous but that shouldn't be mistaken for being depressing.

Agreed. I find most of their music to be stimulating & certainly not derpressing. I actually don't listen to a lot of this type of music but the Smiths just stand out to me as being special.

The problem is the media (who also never listen to the songs) inform the plebs who haven't heard the songs.
So headlines are always ''The Pope of Mope'' or ''heaven Knows he's miserable now'' when a gig is cancelled or something.
Also people who fail to look beyond the song titles (Girlfriend In A Coma, etc)
So that is what they base their views on failing to get the humour, dry northern wit or references the lyrics have been culled from.

I agree lazy journalism has massively contributed to the view of The Smiths as miserablists, when a lot of the songs are actually very uplifting, euphoric even.

But I also think a lot of the perception is based on 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now'. It's certainly the song mentioned most frequently by non-Smiths fans as "evidence" against The Smiths. Ironic really as it's a title which itself was one of Morrissey's little jokes as it was a play on Sandie Shaw's 'Heaven Knows I'm Missing Him Now'.

Ducado said:
Here's a strange thing I have not met many women who like The Smiths or Morrissey for that matter

My wife Loves the Smiths as does here mother and her aunt
AS does my sister in law

Saw them a few times including the Preston gig in '86 where they went off after 2 songs after someone threw something at Morrissey.
The story is that it was an 'outraged royalist' but I'm more inclined to believe it was cos they came on stage at around 10 on a school night.

On the whole I probably prefer the Chameleons.

PinkFinal said:
Saw them a few times including the Preston gig in '86 where they went off after 2 songs after someone threw something at Morrissey.
The story is that it was an 'outraged royalist' but I'm more inclined to believe it was cos they came on stage at around 10 on a school night.

On the whole I probably prefer the Chameleons.

It was a load of sausages. Was probably jimharri

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.