Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we've installed a glorified broom cupboard and set of stairs facing onto the stadiums most valuable commodity, ie the pitch.

genuinely staggered.

Looking at the plan the space lost is minimal, 3 or 4 tables as it has a corridor running through it and it allows for the largest space with the broadest depth. If a concrete wall is the problem get the club to put a mural at either end of the stand like the one at the mini-had. Can you even watch the match from the lounge anyway with it being licensed? Concrete wall, genuinely underwhelmed

I, it's one of those things Architects often come up with. I would say overlook, but designing such an extension and going into the smallest details, you'd think they and/or the club would have picked up on those walls at both ends of the stand.

From a personal point of view I hope the walls don't remain grey concrete, or are painted blue or white. I would like to see a glass exterior added to the walls that mirror the windows of the banqueting suite alongside. That way the walls will blend in seamlessly.

I, it's one of those things Architects often come up with. I would say overlook, but designing such an extension and going into the smallest details, you'd think they and/or the club would have picked up on those walls at both ends of the stand.

From a personal point of view I hope the walls don't remain grey concrete, or are painted blue or white. I would like to see a glass exterior added to the walls that mirror the windows of the banqueting suite alongside. That way the walls will blend in seamlessly.

I completely agree with you here JRB.

I know it's new and has a wow factor because its tall/imposing and orientates the ground better to Ashton road (the only thing going for it) but I am actually completely underwhelmed by the stand as a whole.

I know the the masts are a necessary evil, but they look horrendous. Incidentally, in still not sure they have figured out the waterproofing detail where they pass through the glass/cladding either.

Worsley have you seen this detail on the plans?? or is it "to be agreed with the builder on site". ie the architect didn't have a clue when they were designing it so left it to be bodged later on. can't see why they would leave out doing it for so long when the rest of the facade has been done. which incidentally is very bland and uninspiring.

The corner sections don't work for me. it is the building equivalent of welding the back of a mini onto the front of a Ferrari. This surely could have been graded in more sympathetically with the East/west stand roof.

And now this concrete wall detail......like you say, is all about the detail. Especially at this 'level' of architecture. I agree that it would a lot better glazed and framed to match in with legends lounge, an opaque film applied it hide the staircase and the broom cupboard behind. again, am genuinely gobsmacked this has been sited here. Anyone want to put a figure on how much just one table of ten corporate would generate over a 50 year period, including concerts, Father's Day, rugby games, etc?

Overall very poor.

I'm waiting for the first loon to slide down the support masts(for what of a better word) next season. :-)

sB9Wfnz.jpg

Warpig.

Some valid points there.

TBH I can't be too critical as I like it. Especially the plant being visible.(see picture) I think the right time to finally judge it will be when it's completed.

I think it's harsh - the stadium should be judged in 10 years rather than now. The grey cladding has never done if for me but at least we have less exposed concrete. The detail you refer to will be very interesting to see how it is solved. My guess is that that local section will not be glass but a cut section of cladding?

Like you say probably not resolved at design stage. I have not checked out these concrete Walls but they will be clad in something. They won't be left as exposed concrete.

I think the inside of our stadium will look far better than the outside. Part of me thinks that 80 million x 2 plus probably the same again for the East and west - 320 million - we should have just started again! But I am sure there were issues with lottery funding and publicity of knocking it down and starting again.

It's better than the days I used to sit between the Maine stand and North stand near the old police control room surrounded by fencing and barbed grey seats.

Anyway I like non symmetrical things - it refracts our crazy club. We have never been a symmetrical type of club!!

I'd also be amazed if they didn't somehow clad or hid it somehow. I'll pop down to Selco and do it myself if not.
As for those corners (they do look a bit welded in!) I can only hope it means the East and West will one day be expanded (they've dropped enough hints). I think a rebuild would'nt have been great politically (post Al Sulaim), but costs wise I've no idea which plan would've cost more/less.
The Emirates cost around £300 million (60,000) whilst Wembley cost nigh on £900 million (London construction costs no doubt higher).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.